From: Merciadri Luca on
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 11 June 2010 11:52:42 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> Closer geographically generally means fewer intermediate routers ("hops").
> Fewer hops generally means lower round-time times ("pings"). Lower pings
> indirectly allows larger TCP/IP windows, and thus, higher maximum bandwidth.
>
> In addition, spreading the load among multiple servers means fewer users per
> server, which increases the bandwidth available to each user.
>
> More bandwidth means less download time.
>
> The cdn service also removes out-of-date, heavily loaded, or "down" servers
> from the results, meaning you are less likely to get old packages or download
> failures.

That's on a theoretical point of view. Practically, there is quite no
difference, at least most of the time.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live
forever. (Mahatma Gandhi)

From: David Jardine on
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:20:22PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 11 June 2010 11:52:42 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > Details: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror
> >
> > What's the main interesting of using a server which is as near as
> > possible from you, actually?
>
> Closer geographically generally means fewer intermediate routers ("hops").
> Fewer hops generally means lower round-time times ("pings"). Lower pings
> indirectly allows larger TCP/IP windows, and thus, higher maximum bandwidth.
>
> In addition, spreading the load among multiple servers means fewer users per
> server, which increases the bandwidth available to each user.
>
> More bandwidth means less download time.
>
> The cdn service also removes out-of-date, heavily loaded, or "down" servers
> from the results, meaning you are less likely to get old packages or download
> failures.

And presumably makes a tiny contribution to the efficeint use of resources
worldwide

Cheers,
David

Mark wrote:
> I wonder the same, since the Debian installer even states the best mirror
> choice may not be the one physically closest to you.

It's not really accurate to say that cdn.debian.net chooses the mirror
with the closest geographical location to you. It does something much
more useful: It chooses a mirror that is known to be alive, and
up-to-date, and is in the set of mirrors that are push primary mirrors
-- the mirrors that are generally the best available in speed,
connectivity, and maintenance. The last critera, after all those, is
that the mirror be relatively near to you.

It's possible, in some parts of some countries, for a connection
to a mirror in the same country to need to travel under an ocean or
over some other slow link, while a connection to a mirror in a different
country travels over a fast link. AFAIK, cdn.debian.net does not have
such network topology information available. Still, I think that the
push-primary mirrors it selects generally work very well within their
respective countries.

New versions of the installer offer cdn.debian.net as an option. I'm
looking forward to seeing how that works out, and maybe making the CDN
the default later. Also looking forward to not needing to manually tweak
my mirrors when I'm traveling. And already enjoying faster mirrors than
I typically chose by hand, and especially, never being bothered when a
mirror is down.

--
see shy jo
From: Peter Schumann on
Am 11.06.2010 12:02, schrieb Merciadri Luca:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Merciadri Luca
>> <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be
>> <mailto:Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>> $ ping ftp.us.debian.org <http://ftp.us.debian.org>
>> PING ftp.us.debian.org <http://ftp.us.debian.org> (204.152.191.39)
>> 56(84) bytes of data.
>> ^C
>> --- ftp.us.debian.org <http://ftp.us.debian.org> ping statistics ---
>> 11 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 10023ms
>>
>> $ ping ftp.de.debian.org <http://ftp.de.debian.org>
>> PING ftp.de.debian.org <http://ftp.de.debian.org> (141.76.2.4)
>> 56(84) bytes of data.
>> 64 bytes from ftp.de.debian.org <http://ftp.de.debian.org>
>> (141.76.2.4): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=51.2 ms
>> 64 bytes from ftp.de.debian.org <http://ftp.de.debian.org>
>> (141.76.2.4): icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=40.9 ms
>> ^C
>> --- ftp.de.debian.org <http://ftp.de.debian.org> ping statistics ---
>> 2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1005ms
>> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 40.926/46.083/51.240/5.157 ms
>>
>> So, yes, this looks like it is the same for everybody. But you can use
>> another URL.
>>

>> Thanks. I have decided to be Canadian for my Debian mirror today :).
>>
> Why not. I often switch when it goes down. But I like using the german
> one. I don't know if it is in Germany, but it looks like more reliable.
> Normal, you would say; German discipline.

The mirror is located in Germany, at Technische Universität Dresden.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Lenny / Pidgin / Msn
Next: Fetchmail/SMTP Errors