From: twixt on

Follow up: When the wvdial error occurs,
a popup window tells me the
kernel failed.
I should mention that I installed Debian 5.03
yesterday from 5 DVDs. I intend to report this
to kerneloops.org,
but without a Net connection,
everything gets relayed through my
Windows machine.

Attached is what was added to /var/log/syslog
after
I ran wvdial. Apparently wvdial was not able to
access the
file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial, despite my
attempts to give it access
with sudo chmod.
I used sudo chmod to change /etc, /etc/ppp,
and
then /etc/ppp/peers, but from within the
/etc/ppp directory I am
unable to cd to peers.
The file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial did contain the
noauth
option, whichdoes conflict with the auth option in
/etc/ppp/options, but I changed them both to
auth, then I changed
them both to noauth,
and I still get the same error code 2.

From: Camaleón on
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 15:39:33 -0500, twixt wrote:

> Follow up: When the wvdial error occurs, a popup window tells me the
> kernel failed.

No need to open a new thread. You can add more information on the
original one, unless you change the whole topic :-)

(...)

> Mar 7 06:38:24 localhost pppd[31448]: Can't open options file
> /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial: Permission denied

Just for testing purposes, try to run "wvdial" or "gnome-ppp" as root.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Pages: 1