From: Tom H on
>> Here's a WAG:

>> Change
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600"
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=ttyS0,9600"
>> and run
>> update-grub
>> and reboot to see if you have the serial output (and still have the
>> console output).

> Here is mine and I have the same problem as the OP.

> % cat /etc/default/grub
> # This file is sourced by update-grub, and its variables are propagated
> # to its children in /etc/grub.d/
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rootdelay=15 console=ttyS0,9600"
> GRUB_TERMINAL=serial

That answers my WAG, in the negative...

Hey Tom,

On Feb 4, 2010, at 3:18 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> I'm not at the machine right now (don't have access to see how the video looks), but this should only change the operation of the booting of the kernel, rather than the availability of the Grub menu. On machines which use grub1, I have the following:
>
> It was just a WAG...

and much appreciated - usually if I write something out like that, it might help me sort out where else to look (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubberDucking)

thanks,
-lev

>>> I'm not at the machine right now (don't have access to see how the video looks), but this should only change the operation of the booting of the kernel, rather than the availability of the Grub menu.  On machines which use grub1, I have the following:

>> It was just a WAG...

> and much appreciated - usually if I write something out like that, it might help me sort out where else to look (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubberDucking)

You're welcome. Sorry it was useless...

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Lev Lvovsky <lists2(a)sonous.com> wrote:
> Hello,
[snip.

> This works fine once the kernel is booted (it redirects output to my serial port).  I am not able to see the boot menu with this new configuration however - it appears on the "video" portion of the screen, and I'm able to select a kernel that way, but the serial ouput gets nothing.  With Grub v.1 on other machines with serial redirect, I've been able to get the menu.  Is there some option that I'm missing?

I was working on this a few weeks ago and AFAICK I needed the
following in grub.cfg to serial the grub menu over serial:

terminal_input serial
terminal_output serial

> Additionally, IIRC, the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX option above is conditional, meaning that if I want video vs. serial redirection while booting, I need to swap the two 'console' directives.  Given that there's only one way I can specify the linux command line option, how would I go about doing this?

According to the following bug report (which is also where I saw an
example using the two above lines in grub.cfg), concurrent output is
coming:

http://old.nabble.com/-bug--28628--Concurrent-console-and-serial-access-td27186757.html

Andrew,

On Feb 5, 2010, at 7:21 AM, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Lev Lvovsky <lists2(a)sonous.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
> [snip.
>>
>> This works fine once the kernel is booted (it redirects output to my serial port). I am not able to see the boot menu with this new configuration however - it appears on the "video" portion of the screen, and I'm able to select a kernel that way, but the serial ouput gets nothing. With Grub v.1 on other machines with serial redirect, I've been able to get the menu. Is there some option that I'm missing?
>
> I was working on this a few weeks ago and AFAICK I needed the
> following in grub.cfg to serial the grub menu over serial:
>
> terminal_input serial
> terminal_output serial

Thanks, I'll give this a shot tonight, if it works, I'm assuming that this is an upstream patch to the update-grub script?

-lev