From: briand on
Hi all,

ivman ?
automount ?

I'd like something where I can encode the behavior for particular
devices, i.e. as I'm using the same devices over and over I'd like a
way to make sure that the same device gets mapped to the same thing.

Not needing X to be up and running is nice too.

teh google reveals the above choices.

I don't think that automount is quite right, seems like it will work,
but wasn't really designed for the task.

ivman is several years old, and I'm wondering if it's been superseded
by something else.

Thanks,

Brian

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:46:05 -0700, briand wrote:

> ivman ?
> automount ?

How about "udev" (for naming/calling devices) and mount/umount (for
mounting in command line)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

> Hi all,
>
> ivman ?
> automount ?
>
> I'd like something where I can encode the behavior for particular
> devices, i.e. as I'm using the same devices over and over I'd like a
> way to make sure that the same device gets mapped to the same thing.
>
> Not needing X to be up and running is nice too.
>
> teh google reveals the above choices.
>
> I don't think that automount is quite right, seems like it will work,
> but wasn't really designed for the task.
>
> ivman is several years old, and I'm wondering if it's been superseded
> by something else.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Hi Brian,

usbmount does this (apart from different behaviour for different
devices).

To set up:
- Install the usbmount package.
- Modify/add lines in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf:
FILESYSTEMS="ext2 ext3 vfat"
MOUNTOPTIONS="sync,noexec,nodev,noatime"
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS="-fstype=vfat,flush,gid=plugdev,dmask=0002,fmask=0113"
- Add user(s) to plugdev group.
- Load kernel modules:
sudo modprobe usb-storage
sudo modprobe sd_mod
(and add them to /etc/modules)

When you plug in a device it will appear as /media/usb (linked to
mount point /media/usb0). A second device would be mounted as
/media/usb1 etc.

To unmount, I run sync then pull the device. I think the sync command
is probably unnecessary given the flush mount option, but I do it
anyway out of caution.

There's no GUI, which I count as an advantage.

--
Cheers,
Clive

On Friday 26 March 2010 08:46:05 pm briand(a)aracnet.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ivman ?
> automount ?
>
> I'd like something where I can encode the behavior for particular
> devices, i.e. as I'm using the same devices over and over I'd like a
> way to make sure that the same device gets mapped to the same thing.
>
> Not needing X to be up and running is nice too.
>
> teh google reveals the above choices.
>
> I don't think that automount is quite right, seems like it will work,
> but wasn't really designed for the task.
>
> ivman is several years old, and I'm wondering if it's been superseded
> by something else.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

I use 'UUID=' to identify each file system, in my fstab, with the 'noauto' option.
Create a directory in /media/<device name> and use the mount command. I use this
for usb sticks and externel hard drives. The 'blkid' command will give you the
UUID for a file system.

Mine way is all manual not sure of the automagic way, either way 'UUID=' is
useful.

--
Peace

Greg Madden

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:19:13AM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Friday 26 March 2010 08:46:05 pm briand(a)aracnet.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > ivman ?
> > automount ?
> >
> > I'd like something where I can encode the behavior for particular
> > devices, i.e. as I'm using the same devices over and over I'd like a
> > way to make sure that the same device gets mapped to the same thing.
> >

> I use 'UUID=' to identify each file system, in my fstab, with the 'noauto' option.
> Create a directory in /media/<device name> and use the mount command. I use this
> for usb sticks and externel hard drives. The 'blkid' command will give you the
> UUID for a file system.
>
> Mine way is all manual not sure of the automagic way, either way 'UUID=' is
> useful.

Maybe pmount is quicker than mount?

--
Kind Regards,