From: briand on
Hi All,

If update-grub2 executes without any errors am I good to go ?

What else can I do to try and make sure it will work ?

Thanks,

Brian

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:46:40 -0700, briand wrote:

> If update-grub2 executes without any errors am I good to go ?
>
> What else can I do to try and make sure it will work ?

GRUB menu lines can be syntactically right but it can also fail and don't
boot.

Things than can prevent your system from booting are (but not limited
to): having a wrong root defined or pointing to a wrong/nonexistent
device.

There are still some things one have to manually check to assure a
correct booting but if the system fails to boot you can run GRUB
interactively. Also, as last resort, having a CD with SuperGrubDisk is a
must.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:13:52 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:46:40 -0700, briand wrote:
>
> > If update-grub2 executes without any errors am I good to go ?
> >
> > What else can I do to try and make sure it will work ?
>
> GRUB menu lines can be syntactically right but it can also fail and
> don't boot.
>
> Things than can prevent your system from booting are (but not limited
> to): having a wrong root defined or pointing to a wrong/nonexistent
> device.

and I would check this where ? I looked at grub.cfg and it's quite
complicated.

> There are still some things one have to manually check to assure a
> correct booting but if the system fails to boot you can run GRUB
> interactively. Also, as last resort, having a CD with SuperGrubDisk
> is a must.

Why don't you tell me what those things are , enquiring minds want to
know ?!

A rescue disk sounds useful :-) Is it better to have supergrubdisk or
just have a debian net-install boot disk available ?

Brian

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:19:57 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:13:52 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Things than can prevent your system from booting are (but not limited
>> to): having a wrong root defined or pointing to a wrong/nonexistent
>> device.
>
> and I would check this where ? I looked at grub.cfg and it's quite
> complicated.

GRUB is complicated by definition. I mean, being a bootloader plenty of
options, is not easy to understand how to deal with it. I'm using GRUB
legacy for more that 6 years and still have to recheck the manual now and
then when something goes wrong in order to refresh my brain :-)

>> There are still some things one have to manually check to assure a
>> correct booting but if the system fails to boot you can run GRUB
>> interactively. Also, as last resort, having a CD with SuperGrubDisk is
>> a must.
>>

> Why don't you tell me what those things are , enquiring minds want to
> know ?!

I only know the inners of the GRUB legacy. On those days, one had only to
care about:

- GRUB installation location (MBR / first boot sector of a partition)
- /boot/grub/device.map file (for a correct mapping devices between BIOS
and GRUB)
- /boot/grub/menu.lst (GRUB menu file for booting different OSs)
- Check that GRUB installation files ("stage1" and "stage2) were not
damaged/corrupted somehow
- /etc/grub.conf (global configuration file)

(location of these files can vary depending on the linux distribution in
use)

And that was all.

Now, with GRUB2, some things remain the same, but some don't. For
example, IIRC, GRUB2 nomenclature for devices now starts counting by "1"
and not by "0", so the second partition of the first device is now
designated as (hd1,2) and not (hd0,1).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

El 2010-07-15 a las 19:42 +0200, mess-mate escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 07/15/2010 06:15 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Now, with GRUB2, some things remain the same, but some don't. For
>> example, IIRC, GRUB2 nomenclature for devices now starts counting by "1"
>> and not by "0", so the second partition of the first device is now
>> designated as (hd1,2) and not (hd0,1).

> No... the first remains starting as '0' (hd0 = sda for ex.) only te
> second is counted from '1'.
> So for example the first hd, sda with first partition = hd0,1 .

Oh, I must have misread it, then. Thanks for the correction.

Nice, more messing ;-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón