From: lee on
Hi,

can someone point me to a good documentation about what's needed to
make it so that computers can connect to my computer wirelessly?

I've got a wireless network card which I'm thinking of putting back
into my computer so that I can use the router as a modem only and have
my computer do the firewalling/routing for the LAN via the wireless
network card.

On 6/28/2010 12:54 PM, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone point me to a good documentation about what's needed to
> make it so that computers can connect to my computer wirelessly?
>
> I've got a wireless network card which I'm thinking of putting back
> into my computer so that I can use the router as a modem only and have
> my computer do the firewalling/routing for the LAN via the wireless
> network card.

The short answer is most "92-function-in-one" home WiFi routers will act
as an access point, you just need to be wired temporarily during setup
(or during firmware upgrades and the like). The router will probably
act as a firewall.

If you want your computer to be the firewall and access point, you must
hook your computer directly to your internet WAN connection, are you
sure you want to do that?

http://www.google.com/search?q=debian+router
http://www.google.com/search?q=debian+access+point

On Lu, 28 iun 10, 19:54:49, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone point me to a good documentation about what's needed to
> make it so that computers can connect to my computer wirelessly?
>
> I've got a wireless network card which I'm thinking of putting back
> into my computer so that I can use the router as a modem only and have
> my computer do the firewalling/routing for the LAN via the wireless
> network card.

I've done this on lenny, but that machine is currently down so I'm
writing from memory:

- install hostapd and configure it. The config file is very well
commented, just don't touch anything but the few parameters you need
(ssid, psk, ...)
- depending on your wireless chipset get a newer kernel from backports
and don't forget the firmware if needed
- configure your routing. I did it with shorewall, since the machine
needed a firewall anyway
- you might want to install dnsmasq which is a caching DNS server and
DHCP server
- if you also have wired clients you will need a second wired card and
bridge-utils with some tweaks to /etc/network/interfaces and
hostapd.conf

If you have specific issues I might be able to help.

Regards,
Andrei
On 28/06/10 01:54 PM, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone point me to a good documentation about what's needed to
> make it so that computers can connect to my computer wirelessly?
>
> I've got a wireless network card which I'm thinking of putting back
> into my computer so that I can use the router as a modem only and have
> my computer do the firewalling/routing for the LAN via the wireless
> network card.

First you need to make sure that your wireless card has the ability to
act as an access point. Next, you need to find which Linux driver
supports that card (madwifi or hostapd are my best bet). Then the final
step is just configure that card using the relevant driver.

As an example, I have DLink DWL-G520 card working as an AP in my linux
router machine (running Debian). I am using hostapd as the driver.

ever having been read.

Dne, 28. 06. 2010 20:53:58 je Mark Allums napisal(a):

> The short answer is most "92-function-in-one" home WiFi routers will
> act as an access point,

I think that configuring your router as an access point is your best
bet too: you'll hardly get the same signal range and stability from
your add-in card -- even if it has an external antenna.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801