From: Long Wind on
I have etch and a ppp connection
I want to make ppp connection every time Debian boot
That is, run "pon" during boot
What is the proper way to do that?
Thanks!

On 2010-06-14, Long Wind <longwind2009(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have etch and a ppp connection
> I want to make ppp connection every time Debian boot
> That is, run "pon" during boot
> What is the proper way to do that?
> Thanks!

The quick way is to put the command in /etc/rc.local. The better way is
to configure /etc/network/interfaces for ppp. See the 'interfaces' man
page for the details.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

On 14/06/10 04:38 PM, Long Wind wrote:
> I have etch and a ppp connection
> I want to make ppp connection every time Debian boot
> That is, run "pon" during boot
> What is the proper way to do that?
> Thanks!

When you do pppoeconf to configure the ppp connection, one of the last
questions should be if you want to start the connection at boot time.
Answering "yes" to that should accomplish what you want.

ever having been read.

On Monday 14 June 2010 01:17:27 pm H.S. wrote:
> On 14/06/10 04:38 PM, Long Wind wrote:
> > I have etch and a ppp connection
> > I want to make ppp connection every time Debian boot
> > That is, run "pon" during boot
> > What is the proper way to do that?
> > Thanks!
>
> When you do pppoeconf to configure the ppp connection, one of the last
> questions should be if you want to start the connection at boot time.
> Answering "yes" to that should accomplish what you want.

for a ppp conection 'wvdial' does this.

--
Peace,

Greg

Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-06-14, Long Wind <longwind2009(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have etch and a ppp connection
>> I want to make ppp connection every time Debian boot
>> That is, run "pon" during boot
>> What is the proper way to do that?
>> Thanks!
>
> The quick way is to put the command in /etc/rc.local. The better way is
> to configure /etc/network/interfaces for ppp. See the 'interfaces' man
> page for the details.

I wouldn't mess with rc.local in this particular case.
'man interfaces' is correct but hard on the eyes, so to say.
Googling 'interfaces linux' I found
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/
that is a little easier to read.

Hugo