From: Charles Kroeger on
I've made a new computer my first ever and I'm very pleased with it. It uses
an AMD phenon II 505 build cpu on an Ausus board with 8GB ram.

I used an amd64 net-installer to create the partitions and swap file
on the new and larger hard drive of the new machine.

Before moving an image of the old [i686] partition to the new computer I
installed the amd64 kernel. I completed the install by using gparted from a
rescue disk to merge the larger new partition with the old smaller one from
the image. The previously installed amd64 kernel now listed on the grub2 menu
was selected to boot the new computer, and up it came, without a glitch so
basically I'm happy.

However, it has transpired that it wasn't that simple to change from the i686
kernel to amd64 even though my 32 packages will work under the amd64 kernel
Apt and Dpkg for instance don't seem to know this has happened.

I would hope someone knows a command line solution. Is there a way
to safely morph the old architecture into the new, like purging the i686
kernel for instance or configuring APT or dpkg to upgrade with amd64
versions.

Thanks for reading.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 05:44:46PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
[...]
> Before moving an image of the old [i686] partition to the new computer I
> installed the amd64 kernel. I completed the install by using gparted from a
> rescue disk to merge the larger new partition with the old smaller one from
> the image. The previously installed amd64 kernel now listed on the grub2 menu
> was selected to boot the new computer, and up it came, without a glitch so
> basically I'm happy.
>
> However, it has transpired that it wasn't that simple to change from the i686
> kernel to amd64 even though my 32 packages will work under the amd64 kernel
> Apt and Dpkg for instance don't seem to know this has happened.
>
> I would hope someone knows a command line solution. Is there a way
> to safely morph the old architecture into the new, like purging the i686
> kernel for instance or configuring APT or dpkg to upgrade with amd64
> versions.

It's been a while, but as I understand it, there is an -amd64 kernel
available in the -i686 repos, but that doesn't mean you're running in
the 64 bit architecture. That requires a number of other things to
happen, including changing to a 64-bit libc and so forth. I have done
the migration in place, but it's tedious and no fun. I don't remember
the specifics, but it required multiple reboots and quite a bit of
hackery. In other words, with the installers being so good these days,
I don't think it's worth the effort. Just backup your data, export
your apt selections and reinstall into a 64-bit architecture and
restore your stuff.

very much my .02

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Andrew Sackville-West put forth on 2/27/2010 7:53 PM:

> It's been a while, but as I understand it, there is an -amd64 kernel
> available in the -i686 repos, but that doesn't mean you're running in
> the 64 bit architecture. That requires a number of other things to
> happen, including changing to a 64-bit libc and so forth. I have done
> the migration in place, but it's tedious and no fun. I don't remember
> the specifics, but it required multiple reboots and quite a bit of
> hackery. In other words, with the installers being so good these days,
> I don't think it's worth the effort. Just backup your data, export
> your apt selections and reinstall into a 64-bit architecture and
> restore your stuff.
>
> very much my .02

+1

Install the new system fresh with the full x86-64 (AMD 64) distribution.
Then copy your data files over. Thorough, faster, simpler, and you won't
run into weird application issues 3 months from now that require a week of
head scratching to figure out, only to realize that the problem is that you
never fully upgraded all the necessary stuff to 64 bit.

--
Stan

> However, it has transpired that it wasn't that simple to change from the i686
> kernel to amd64 even though my 32 packages will work under the amd64 kernel
> Apt and Dpkg for instance don't seem to know this has happened.

Others have already answered the "how to move from i386 to amd64", but
I'll just point out that you may prefer to just keep using an i386
distribution with your amd64 kernel.

After all, the i386 version of GNU/Linux is by far the most widely used,
supported, and tested. Admittedly, you may occasionally run into
incompatibilities between an i386-userland and the amd64-kernel (last
I tried the i386-s2disk still did not work with an amd64 kernel), but if
your use doesn't bump into any such issue (they're typically rare), then
maybe there's no good reason to change.

Stefan

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 17:44 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> I would hope someone knows a command line solution. Is there a way
> to safely morph the old architecture into the new, like purging the i686
> kernel for instance or configuring APT or dpkg to upgrade with amd64
> versions.

You were already told that a reinstall is most definitely the easiest,
fastest and safest procedure. But if you want to try it:

http://teddyb.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/debian_arch_up/

details the procedure.
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :