From: Charles Kroeger on
>I'm sorry I really don't understand, please define what you mean by
>"installing" the image.

Like I have an image of the data in a partition recorded on removable media.

The source of this data [hard drive] and the removable media containing the copy
[image] of this data both reside on an ext3 file system.

My question is if the hard drive is reformatted with the ext4 file system and I
re-install that 'image' [ext3 file system] will the data be corrupted?

thanks,

--
CK

On 10/07/10 22:28, Charles Kroeger wrote:
>> I'm sorry I really don't understand, please define what you mean by
>> "installing" the image.
>
> Like I have an image of the data in a partition recorded on removable media.
>
> The source of this data [hard drive] and the removable media containing the copy
> [image] of this data both reside on an ext3 file system.
>
> My question is if the hard drive is reformatted with the ext4 file system and I
> re-install that 'image' [ext3 file system] will the data be corrupted?
>
> thanks,

You are using the word "Install" in an ambiguous way. Also the
"removable media" can't reside "on" an ext3 system - more an ext3
filesystem resides on the removeable media (maybe). This filesystem
then will be (potentially) mounted into the overall filesystem.

Are you saying you took a copy of the partition using something like dd
if=/dev/sdXy of=/mnt/removeable-media/a-file-on this-media or did you
just copy the files?

If you now have this file, you don't "install" it to recover it. You
either copy it back using dd

dd if=/mnt/removeable-media/a-file-on-this-media of=/dev/sdXy

Or you could mount the file as a loopback device

mount -o loop /mnt/removeable-media/a-file-on-this-media /a-new-mnt-point/

and copy the files from there

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

>Are you saying you took a copy of the partition using something like dd
>if=/dev/sdXy of=/mnt/removeable-media/a-file-on this-media or did you
>just copy the files?

Thanks for your interesting suggestions; however, they reflect a considerable
knowledge. In my case, I'm using a proprietary imaging software based on the
Linux kernel that offers images made of one's whole hard drive or by way of an
options menu, a list of individual partitions.

My 'working system' is on one partition, sda1 and I've made a backup copy of
this partition that is compressed into an 8GB kingston USB stick. I had this
notion that after the hard drive was reformatted with ext4 I could boot up with
the .iso Linux image that comes with the proprietary software and rebuild the
partition by using the above backup.

I've had to use this on a few occasions to rebuild my 'working system' after
certain sid dist-upgrades were performed.

I'm happy to report this doesn't happen as much now as in the recent past.

My question was since this backup is on an ext3 formatted USB stick, if my hard
drive was reformatted with ext4, could the backup [image] on the USB stick be
'copied' back to the new ext4 partition, without problems, as it were.

thanks,

--
CK

Charles Kroeger wrote:
> My question was since this backup is on an ext3 formatted USB stick, if my hard
> drive was reformatted with ext4, could the backup [image] on the USB stick be
> 'copied' back to the new ext4 partition, without problems, as it were.

If that software is filesystem agnostic, it will obviously require you to
wipe out the ext4 filesystem to copy the saved ext3 filesystem back. As we
said already, you can then upgrade the ext3 filesystem to ext4.

Alternatively, you can find a way to mount the image with a loop device in
order to copy the files from the saved filesystem to the new ext4
filesystem. Since you're using proprietary software, I must note that you
might have a hard time with this alternative solution.

You should get better help from that software developer.

-t

On 11/07/10 04:18, Charles Kroeger wrote:
>> Are you saying you took a copy of the partition using something like dd
>> if=/dev/sdXy of=/mnt/removeable-media/a-file-on this-media or did you
>> just copy the files?
>
> Thanks for your interesting suggestions; however, they reflect a considerable
> knowledge. In my case, I'm using a proprietary imaging software based on the
> Linux kernel that offers images made of one's whole hard drive or by way of an
> options menu, a list of individual partitions.
>
> My 'working system' is on one partition, sda1 and I've made a backup copy of
> this partition that is compressed into an 8GB kingston USB stick. I had this
> notion that after the hard drive was reformatted with ext4 I could boot up with
> the .iso Linux image that comes with the proprietary software and rebuild the
> partition by using the above backup.
>
> I've had to use this on a few occasions to rebuild my 'working system' after
> certain sid dist-upgrades were performed.
>
> I'm happy to report this doesn't happen as much now as in the recent past.
>
> My question was since this backup is on an ext3 formatted USB stick, if my hard
> drive was reformatted with ext4, could the backup [image] on the USB stick be
> 'copied' back to the new ext4 partition, without problems, as it were.

It looks as if the point you're missing is the nature of an image. It's
a bit-for-bit copy of a region of a drive, possibly compressed to avoid
backing up unused space. It contains not only the data, but the entire
filesystem structure, including any boot code it may use. If you restore
a partition image, you're going to completely overwrite whatever was
there before, so it's irrelevant what filesystem was there. What is
there afterwards is an exact copy of the source of the image, including
the filesystem used in that source.

--
Joe