From: Antonio Diaz Sanchez on

Hi,

I am using Debian Sid. After doing the login (by using either KDM or GDM) KDE seems to crash, and the only thing I can see is the mouse pointer over a black screen.

I have looked for some information in the logs but I have not found anything significant. In the syslog is written down the following line but I am not sure whether this is important:

"Cannot load /usr/share/apps/kdm/faces/.default.face: No such file or directory"

What can I do to find out what is happening? (this is frustrating)

Regards,

On Mon, 10 May 2010 07:47:54 +0000, Antonio Diaz Sanchez wrote:

> I am using Debian Sid. After doing the login (by using either KDM or
> GDM) KDE seems to crash, and the only thing I can see is the mouse
> pointer over a black screen.
>
> I have looked for some information in the logs but I have not found
> anything significant. In the syslog is written down the following line
> but I am not sure whether this is important:
>
> "Cannot load /usr/share/apps/kdm/faces/.default.face: No such file or
> directory"
>
> What can I do to find out what is happening? (this is frustrating)

Another user in this list was experiencing a similar error a few days
ago, so maybe this can be a bug in login manager or consolekit :-?

On login screen, jump to a tty, "su" to your user, type "startx" and
check if that works for you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Hi,

Antonio Diaz Sanchez <adiazsanchez(a)yahoo.es> writes:

> I am using Debian Sid. After doing the login (by using either KDM or
> GDM) KDE seems to crash, and the only thing I can see is the mouse
> pointer over a black screen.

Do you have plasma-desktop installed? After upgrading to KDE 4.4, I
ended up with plasma-netbook, but a configuration that expected
plasma-desktop which didn't work correctly (no taskbar etc.).

After installing plasma-desktop by hand, everything worked perfectly :)

Regards,
Ansgar

El 05/10/2010 09:19 AM, Ansgar Burchardt escribi�:
> Hi,
>
> Antonio Diaz Sanchez<adiazsanchez(a)yahoo.es> writes:
>
>> I am using Debian Sid. After doing the login (by using either KDM or
>> GDM) KDE seems to crash, and the only thing I can see is the mouse
>> pointer over a black screen.
>
> Do you have plasma-desktop installed? After upgrading to KDE 4.4, I
> ended up with plasma-netbook, but a configuration that expected
> plasma-desktop which didn't work correctly (no taskbar etc.).
>
> After installing plasma-desktop by hand, everything worked perfectly :)
>
> Regards,
> Ansgar

I did install "plasma-desktop" and now it works. I didn't realize that
these packages were uninstalled after doing a "safe-upgrading". Thank
you for all the replies (I was desperate).

Regards,