From: Mitchell Laks on
I notice that others had problems with grub not updating the kernel
from linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 to linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd64
and I had this same problem.

I suspect that this is because the heuristic that dpkg or apt or aptitude update
is using
finds that linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 is greater than linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd
64 alphabetically
even though it is the older kernel
and this is breaking all of your automatic grub updates done by debian packaging
..

that is the reason we are all suffering....

Mitchell

On 2010-03-16 07:26, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> I notice that others had problems with grub not updating the kernel
> from linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 to linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd64
> and I had this same problem.
>
> I suspect that this is because the heuristic that dpkg or apt or aptitude update
> is using
> finds that linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 is greater than linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd
> 64 alphabetically
> even though it is the older kernel
> and this is breaking all of your automatic grub updates done by debian packaging
> .
>
> that is the reason we are all suffering....

Interesting thought. Does the system boot if you manually edit the
grub config file?

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.

On 3/16/2010 8:28 AM, Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> The easiest way would be to enforce a strict naming scheme (maybe with
> lintian) so the aforementioned code can stay as simple as it is today.

In the short run, an easy thing to do is remove -trunk- image and all
corresponding packages, as it is an experimental-grade kernel that got
promoted to Sid by mistake. If .32-3 is working, then -trunk- is not
needed at all.

>> Again, is there no way to set a default in grub2?  Is there no
>> way, for example, to make the last-booted kernel the default kernel?

> Modify /etc/default/grub to point to the relevant stanza, then run
> grub-update. Changes made directly to /boot/grub/grub.cfg will get
> overwritten next update, of course. Savedefault also work, IIRC.
> Although I have never used that option myself.

Set
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
in
/etc/default/grub
and run
update-grub

>>> Again, is there no way to set a default in grub2?  Is there no
>>> way, for example, to make the last-booted kernel the default kernel?

>> Modify /etc/default/grub to point to the relevant stanza, then run
>> grub-update. Changes made directly to /boot/grub/grub.cfg will get
>> overwritten next update, of course.  Savedefault also work, IIRC.
>> Although I have never used that option myself.

> I'm glad to know that there is a way. Thanks.

You're welcome.

AFAIK, except for the "howmany" setting (and possibly your earlier
font issue), grub2 is just as flexible as grub1.