From: Paul Scott on
Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse(a)ultrasw.com> wrote:
(...)

>>> I'm using backported wicd 1.6.2.2 on lenny.

I believe I have made many attempts with 1.6.2.2 but I will try it again.

> I find that the terms "key", "password", and "passphrase" tend to be
> used interchangeably in the literature. The important thing to remember
> is that the key can be 8-63 printable ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal
> characters. Hence the conversion you mention above.
>
> To generate a PSK, you can use an online service like
> https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

Ok. I will try that on my home situation.

OTOH I need to connect at a coffee shop which uses a given "password"

Wicd just tells me that the connection is WPA2. When I set Wicd
properties for that connection either to

WPA 1/2 Passphrase
or
WPA 1/2 Preshared Key

I get the same bad password rejection from Wicd.

That was with 1.7. I'm installing 1.6.2.2 right now.

Thanks,

Paul

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse(a)ultrasw.com> wrote:
> > Liam O'Toole wrote:

> >> --SNIP--
> >> --SNIP--
> >>
> >> I'm using backported wicd 1.6.2.2 on lenny. It authenticates
> >> successfully using WPA2 with a WRT54G router. For encryption type I use
> >> "WPA 1/2 Preshared Key" and enter the key in hexadecimal. No trouble.
> >>
> >> How does that compare with your settings?
> >
> > This may lead me to ideas not made clear in docs I have read so far.
> >
> > I am using WPA2 Personal with a text based password which appears to be
> > converted to a key by wicd.
> >
> > How you create a Preshared Key?
> >
> > In terms of either wicd or the router what's the difference between a
> > key and a password?
> >

> I find that the terms "key", "password", and "passphrase" tend to be
> used interchangeably in the literature. The important thing to remember
> is that the key can be 8-63 printable ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal
> characters. Hence the conversion you mention above.
>
> To generate a PSK, you can use an online service like
> https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

Not to belabour the obvious, but are you certain the passwords match? One
time I generated a password on the router not realizing that my caps lock
key was on.
Best,
Arthur
From: Liam O'Toole on
On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse(a)ultrasw.com> wrote:

> Wicd just tells me that the connection is WPA2. When I set Wicd
> properties for that connection either to
>
> WPA 1/2 Passphrase
> or
> WPA 1/2 Preshared Key
>
> I get the same bad password rejection from Wicd.

When I select "WPA 1/2 (Preshared Key)" I use the hexadecimal
representation of the key. I didn't use a passphrase to
generate the key, so I don't use the other option.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:30:46AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Liam O'Toole wrote:
> >On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse(a)ultrasw.com> wrote:
> (...)

> I believe I have made many attempts with 1.6.2.2 but I will try it again.
>
> >I find that the terms "key", "password", and "passphrase" tend to be
> >used interchangeably in the literature. The important thing to remember
> >is that the key can be 8-63 printable ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal
> >characters. Hence the conversion you mention above.
> >
> >To generate a PSK, you can use an online service like
> >https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.
>
> Ok. I will try that on my home situation.
>
> OTOH I need to connect at a coffee shop which uses a given "password"
>
> Wicd just tells me that the connection is WPA2. When I set Wicd
> properties for that connection either to
>
> WPA 1/2 Passphrase
> or
> WPA 1/2 Preshared Key
>
> I get the same bad password rejection from Wicd.
>
> That was with 1.7. I'm installing 1.6.2.2 right now.

I had problems with the encrypted connection at my office starting with an
upgrade sometime back. It is a WEP hexadecimal passphrase.

No rejection of the passphrase though. It claims failure finding the DNS
server. Also an WRT54G and Wicd 1.6.2.2, on squeeze.

At first I thought it wasn't connecting. After playing with every setting
possible, I discovered it was timing out sometimes on the first try. I
finally settled for 60 seconds of working off line while I wait, with an
occasional second try.

Instantly connects to everything else instantly, even the office occasionally.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Arthur Machlas wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole(a)gmail.com
> <mailto:liam.p.otoole(a)gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> To generate a PSK, you can use an online service like
> https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.
>
> Not to belabour the obvious, but are you certain the passwords match?
> One time I generated a password on the router not realizing that my caps
> lock key was on.

Yes. They are both visible to me at some point.

Thanks,

Paul