From: Justin The Cynical on
On 6/15/10 1:09 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>> As for the SAS, what errors are you seeing? Do you see the megaraid-sas
>> (I believe that is the correct one, depends on the chipset used on your
>> particular PERC) even load?
>
> Server is Dell R410, so I think controller is perc 6/i

*snip*

>> I also may have had to manually roll the initrd with the megaraid driver
>> as well, don't quite recall.
>
> A bit complex issue, anyway boot works on ubuntu server. Maybe this is
> installer bug?

Perhaps, I don't quite recall.

>> But without some kind of error message, this is speculation.
>
> Well, it just drops to busybox complaining it cannot mount rootfs.
> Maybe I need to use camera/screencapture to get error messages, since
> it's a bit complex to get errormessages our of drac.

OK, so you are using the DRAC? Are you using the virtual media options?
When I used them, they threw off the install as the virtual optical and
floppy are presented to the system as USB devices, which were enumerated
before the install target.

I forget, but does dmesg work when the system stops on boot?

dmesg | grep sas
dmesg | grep mega

I think one of those two commands /should/ return the driver stanza if
it's loading.

I'd also be interested in looking at what grub is pointing to and what /
is pointed at in your fstab.

> OK, so you are using the DRAC?  Are you using the virtual media options?
>  When I used them, they threw off the install as the virtual optical and
> floppy are presented to the system as USB devices, which were enumerated
> before the install target.

Yes, I am using DRAC with virtual media because server is located at datacenter.
I think virtual media/usb that causes problems on grub/initrd install.

> I forget, but does dmesg work when the system stops on boot?
>
> dmesg | grep sas
> dmesg | grep mega
>
> I think one of those two commands /should/ return the driver stanza if
> it's loading.
>
> I'd also be interested in looking at what grub is pointing to and what /
> is pointed at in your fstab.

Ok, I need to try to install again and then try this.

--
Eero

> I forget, but does dmesg work when the system stops on boot?
>
> dmesg | grep sas
> dmesg | grep mega
>
> I think one of those two commands /should/ return the driver stanza if
> it's loading.

dmesg works and it says something like this:

megasas: 0x1000:0x0060:0x1028:0x1f0b bus:3:slot:0:func:0
megasas: FW now in ready state.

--
Eero

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:14:29PM +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> > Maybe having bnx2 driver in a usb disk, and installing it when lenny
> > installer ask ?
>
> Well, maybe. Any instructions how to put bnx2 driver on usb disk?

Yes: doewnload that deb file and put it on a USB disk that is connected
to the machine when the installation start.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's