From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello John W Foster,

> TO ALL: anyone that knows of ANY applications, drivers, that are
> designed to run in native 64bit AMD architecture especially those with
> GPLed source code available...Please send me the site of the apps, if
> they are your creations I would like to package them for Debian. I am
> not a Debian developer and not qualified to repackage them for Debian
> distro. I will however make those available for public consumption if
> you wish it, on a non-developer site. Its a real shame that I waited 5
> years to build a proper 64bit system then I discover there is VERY
> little native 64bit software available.
> Thanks
> John

And how many software do you think, require to be build for native 64bit
because most programs would only fill up the harddrive if compiled for
64bit.

The only program which require 64bit build are programs with excexssiv
calculations like "povray", "blender", "gimp" or "geda" and maybe some
multimedia programs for recoding.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems(a)tdnet France EURL itsystems(a)tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

From: Jochen Schulz on
John W Foster:

> TO ALL: anyone that knows of ANY applications, drivers, that are
> designed to run in native 64bit AMD architecture especially those with
> GPLed source code available...

What exactly are you looking for? The complete Debian archive is
available for pure AMD64. I am running Debian AMD64 on two machines at
home.

> […] Its a real shame that I waited 5 years to build a proper 64bit
> system then I discover there is VERY little native 64bit software
> available.

Again, please be specific about what you are missing. The Linux kernel,
the GNU userland, KDE, Gnome, Firefox/Iceweasel, OpenOffice.org, The
Gimp etc. are all available as native AMD64 binaries.

J.
--
Thy lyrics in pop songs seem to describe my life uncannily accurately.
[Agree] [Disagree]
From: Török Edwin on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:19:23 -0500
John W Foster <jfoster81747(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> TO ALL: anyone that knows of ANY applications, drivers, that are
> designed to run in native 64bit AMD architecture especially those with
> GPLed source code available...Please send me the site of the apps, if
> they are your creations I would like to package them for Debian. I am
> not a Debian developer and not qualified to repackage them for Debian
> distro. I will however make those available for public consumption if
> you wish it, on a non-developer site. Its a real shame that I waited 5
> years to build a proper 64bit system then I discover there is VERY
> little native 64bit software available.

Hi,

I am using Debian on amd64 architecture since a long time (even before
Debian etch), and there are *plenty* of apps available.
(Just look at your apt-cache stats output).

The only apps that needed the 32-bit libs/chroot around were wine and
the non-free flash plugin. Initially I think openoffice had to be run
in a chroot too, but that was quickly solved.

What software are you using that does not have a 64-bit package?

Best regards,
--Edwin

On 06/27/2010 09:19 AM, John W Foster wrote:
> TO ALL: anyone that knows of ANY applications, drivers, that are
> designed to run in native 64bit AMD architecture especially those with
> GPLed source code available...Please send me the site of the apps, if
> they are your creations I would like to package them for Debian. I am
> not a Debian developer and not qualified to repackage them for Debian
> distro. I will however make those available for public consumption if
> you wish it, on a non-developer site. Its a real shame that I waited 5
> years to build a proper 64bit system then I discover there is VERY
> little native 64bit software available.
> Thanks
> John

As far as I'm aware, Debian's AMD64 repo is mostly 64bit, with only
exceptions being certain 3rd party apps from vendors like Adobe.

Under certain circumstances, it's often better to have a 32bit firefox,
32bit java browser plugin, et cetera. This is b/c the 64bit Adobe Flash
plugin tends to be... hard to come by (the beta was closed recently).

I wouldn't be overly concerned, unless you find an app that is broken on
64bit (an old one from Debian Lenny [and older] is procinfo-18. Squeeze
replaces it with [my] procinfo-ng. I really should make another release
of procinfo-ng).

From: lee on
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:19:23AM -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> TO ALL: anyone that knows of ANY applications, drivers, that are
> designed to run in native 64bit AMD architecture especially those with
> GPLed source code available...Please send me the site of the apps, if
> they are your creations I would like to package them for Debian.

see http://emerald.modularsystems.sl/downloads.shtml

It would be nice to finally have a 64bit version of Emerald, it's long
overdue. The sources are available. It's not my creation, though, but
that doesn't matter.