From: Joost Kraaijeveld on
Hi,

I recently switched from Xinerama to RandR to use my two monitors in a
dual head configuration. After doing that the switching between
workspaces is taking a lot of time (3-5 seconds), which was (almost)
instantaneous with Xinerama.

Is this a known feature for this card/driver or is there a magic setting
in a xorg.conf that can solve this? Or should I just revert to the
Xinerama?

I am using the latest version of the drivers as from the non-free Debian
testing repositories: 9.12-1 on a Debian AMD64 (testing) machine.

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 06:26:39AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> I recently switched from Xinerama to RandR to use my two monitors in a
> dual head configuration. After doing that the switching between
> workspaces is taking a lot of time (3-5 seconds), which was (almost)
> instantaneous with Xinerama.
I'm encountering the same issue on a single head setup (never used
Xinerama). What window manager are you using (ion3 for me)?

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/
From: Joost Kraaijeveld on
On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:32 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 06:26:39AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
> > I recently switched from Xinerama to RandR to use my two monitors in a
> > dual head configuration. After doing that the switching between
> > workspaces is taking a lot of time (3-5 seconds), which was (almost)
> > instantaneous with Xinerama.
> I'm encountering the same issue on a single head setup (never used
> Xinerama). What window manager are you using (ion3 for me)?

I am using gdm, in an as-is
apt-get-install-debian-testing-with-Gnome-installation.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:41:38AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

>> I'm encountering the same issue on a single head setup (never used
>> Xinerama). What window manager are you using (ion3 for me)?
> I am using gdm, in an as-is
> apt-get-install-debian-testing-with-Gnome-installation.
gdm is a display manager (I'm using xdm, BTW). The default gnome window
manager should be metacity (you can check that with "ps uxww |grep
metacity").
Anyway we are obviously using totally different window managers, but the
problem is the same. Sounds like either an X server or driver issue
then...
As you are running testing (lenny here), can you try wether the delay
occurs with the open source drivers (radeon and radeonhd IIRC) as well,
please?

BTW: I already tried enabling double buffering, but it made the delay
even worse.

FTR:
||/ Name Version Description
ii fglrx-driver 1:8-12-4 non-free AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx, r7xx
display dr
ii ion3 20080825-1 tiling tabbed window manager designed
for ke
ii xdm 1:1.1.8-5 X display manager
ii xorg 1:7.3+20 X.Org X Window System

01:05.0 0300: 1002:9610
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200
Graphics (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device d000
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at ee00 [size=256]
Memory at fdfe0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Memory at fde00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
Kernel modules: fglrx

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/
From: Joost Kraaijeveld on
On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:24 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:41:38AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
> >> I'm encountering the same issue on a single head setup (never used
> >> Xinerama). What window manager are you using (ion3 for me)?
> > I am using gdm, in an as-is
> > apt-get-install-debian-testing-with-Gnome-installation.
> gdm is a display manager (I'm using xdm, BTW). The default gnome window
> manager should be metacity (you can check that with "ps uxww |grep
> metacity").
Ah, of course, sorry about the confusion: yes, Metacity.

> Anyway we are obviously using totally different window managers, but the
> problem is the same. Sounds like either an X server or driver issue
> then...
> As you are running testing (lenny here), can you try wether the delay
> occurs with the open source drivers (radeon and radeonhd IIRC) as well,
> please?
I can try that but not before early next week: I need a working machine
because of some deadlines and I am not prepared to experiment more that
just running Debian testing, especially as my chipset is not mentioned
explicitly in the Debian package
(http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd)

My configuration btw:

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV670 AGP [Radeon HD 3850]

Packages:
fglrx*: 1:9-12-1
xorg: 1:17.4+4

--