From: T o n g on
Thanks Boyd.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:31:08 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> I use this for starting the daemons or connecting to existing daemons by
> setting environment variables in the current shell: eval
> "$(/usr/bin/keychain --eval --quiet --inherit any-once --stop others --
> noask --lockwait 0)"

Do you put it in your .bash_profile?
How do you do with ~/.keychain/${HOST}-sh?

> I use this for adding keys to an existing daemon -- it doesn't change
> the environment at all:
> SSH_KEYS=('id_dsa')
> /usr/bin/keychain --inherit any-once --stop others --clear
> "${SSH_KEYS[@]}"

This is on the command line when you input ssh key, right?
With that '--clear', do you need to input ssh key every time?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 05:11:14PM +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Jeff D on 15/01/10 17:00, wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>
>>> I've been chasing my tail trying to work this one out following different
>>> examples off the web, but can't sort it out and keep getting the old
>>>
>>> "Could not open a connection to your authentication agent."
>>>
>>> from ssh-add, and nothing but inaction from keychain.
>>>
>>> I know everything has to run as a child of ssh-agent to gain access to its
>>> envvars, but I don't how to achieve this.
>>>
>>> keychain id_rsa in my .bash_profile doesn't work, I still have to give ssh my
>>> password for the private key when I use ssh.
>>>
>>> I guess I should be setting up the envvars in my bash env somehow when getting
>>> them via 'ssh-agent -s' but I don't know the syntax to do this.
>>>
>>> I always boot into a command line and then run startx when I need it, and I
>>> think herein lies the problem - although I can't get it to work on the command
>>> line either with keychain or ssh-add.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Adam
>>

>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> from the command line you can run :
>>
>> ssh-agent bash
>> #that starts your agent for that shell, you will need to run that for each
>> shell you want to have access to your keys
>> ssh-add -i /path/to/your/key
>>

>> For X, in /etc/X11/Xsession.options, check and make sure you have
>> use-ssh-agent in there.
> [SNIP]
>
> What I'm trying to do is to get this set up in my .bash_profile so that I
> only need to type in my key password once when I log into the machine.
>
> I can't put the two command in my .bash_profile because the 2nd command
> won't get executed until the first bash shell exits.

What about following the first command with: &

Does that work?

-Rob

Am 15.01.2010 um 22:36:53 schrieb Rob Owens:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 05:11:14PM +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Jeff D on 15/01/10 17:00, wrote:

>>> Hi Adam,
>>>
>>> from the command line you can run :
>>>
>>> ssh-agent bash
>>> #that starts your agent for that shell, you will need to run that for each
>>> shell you want to have access to your keys
>>> ssh-add -i /path/to/your/key
>>>

>>> For X, in /etc/X11/Xsession.options, check and make sure you have
>>> use-ssh-agent in there.
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> What I'm trying to do is to get this set up in my .bash_profile so that I
>> only need to type in my key password once when I log into the machine.
>>
>> I can't put the two command in my .bash_profile because the 2nd command
>> won't get executed until the first bash shell exits.
>>
> What about following the first command with: &
>
> Does that work?

you should do it this way, i think.

http://mah.everybody.org/docs/ssh

bye,

Michael.

On Friday 15 January 2010 14:33:50 T o n g wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:31:08 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > I use this for starting the daemons or connecting to existing daemons by
> > setting environment variables in the current shell: eval
> > "$(/usr/bin/keychain --eval --quiet --inherit any-once --stop others --
> > noask --lockwait 0)"
>
> Do you put it in your .bash_profile?
> How do you do with ~/.keychain/${HOST}-sh?

It's in ~/bin/keychain-start.sh which was created by me, and is sourced in my
.zshrc. Before I switched to zsh, it is sourced in my .bashrc.

> > I use this for adding keys to an existing daemon -- it doesn't change
> > the environment at all:
> > SSH_KEYS=('id_dsa')
> > /usr/bin/keychain --inherit any-once --stop others --clear
> > "${SSH_KEYS[@]}"
>
> This is on the command line when you input ssh key, right?

It's in ~/bin/keychain-load.bash which was created by me, and is run by my
.zlogin. Before I switched to zsh, it was run by my .bash_profile. (My
.bash_profile sources my .bashrc near the top.)

> With that '--clear', do you need to input ssh key every time?

Yes.

I have the command for keychain loading in separate files because I also use
them in ~/.kde/env and refer to them from .desktop files in ~/.kde/Autostart
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))