From: H.S. on

There was a slight screw-up with my mount points of /boot earlier today,
when I was doing a bit of house cleaning. I purged some old kernels and
installed a new one while /boot was mounted on a different partition
(another story, sigh!). I noticed the problems and fixed that and
rebooted with proper mounting. This, of course, resulted in the kernel
files still in (correct) /boot that were supposed to have been purged.
To fix that, with /boot correctly mounted, I reinstalled the kernel
packages that I had purged and then purged them.

Now, after doing this, I still have this kernel in /boot:
$> ls -1 /boot/*trunk*
/boot/config-2.6.32-trunk-686
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686.bak
/boot/System.map-2.6.32-trunk-686
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686

However, I am not sure to which package this belongs:
$> dpkg -l linux-image-2\.6\.32* | grep trunk
un linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 <none> (no description available)

If that is its package, apt can't find it:
$> apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686
W: Unable to locate package linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686
E: No packages found

Anybody know what is the deal with this kernel image? What am I missing
here?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

H.S. wrote:
> There was a slight screw-up with my mount points of /boot earlier today,
> when I was doing a bit of house cleaning. I purged some old kernels and
> installed a new one while /boot was mounted on a different partition
> (another story, sigh!). I noticed the problems and fixed that and
> rebooted with proper mounting. This, of course, resulted in the kernel
> files still in (correct) /boot that were supposed to have been purged.
> To fix that, with /boot correctly mounted, I reinstalled the kernel
> packages that I had purged and then purged them.
>
> Now, after doing this, I still have this kernel in /boot:
> $> ls -1 /boot/*trunk*
> /boot/config-2.6.32-trunk-686
> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686
> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686.bak
> /boot/System.map-2.6.32-trunk-686
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686
>

> However, I am not sure to which package this belongs:
> $> dpkg -l linux-image-2\.6\.32* | grep trunk
> un linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 <none> (no description available)
>
> If that is its package, apt can't find it:
> $> apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686
> W: Unable to locate package linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686
> E: No packages found
>

> Anybody know what is the deal with this kernel image? What am I missing
> here?

What about 'dpkg -P 2.6.32-trunk-686'?

Hugo

On 02/06/10 09:47 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>>
>> Now, after doing this, I still have this kernel in /boot:
>> $> ls -1 /boot/*trunk*
>> /boot/config-2.6.32-trunk-686
>> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686
>> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686.bak
>> /boot/System.map-2.6.32-trunk-686
>> /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686
>>

>> However, I am not sure to which package this belongs:
>> $> dpkg -l linux-image-2\.6\.32* | grep trunk
>> un linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 <none> (no description available)
>>
>> If that is its package, apt can't find it:
>> $> apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686
>> W: Unable to locate package linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686
>> E: No packages found
>>

>> Anybody know what is the deal with this kernel image? What am I missing
>> here?
>>

> What about 'dpkg -P 2.6.32-trunk-686'?

It is already being shown as not installed. In fact, I am trying to
install it.

The problem with this kernel is that I purged it when /boot was
mistakenly mounted on some other device. So apt worked as far as its
database is concerned, but the package's files remained on the original
/boot. Now that I have the correct boot, I would like to install the
package again and then follow by purging it so that aptitude now removes
all the files from the correct /boot.

ever having been read.

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:10:09AM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> > H.S. wrote:
> >>
> >> Now, after doing this, I still have this kernel in /boot:
> >> $> ls -1 /boot/*trunk*
> >> /boot/config-2.6.32-trunk-686
> >> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686
> >> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686.bak
> >> /boot/System.map-2.6.32-trunk-686
> >> /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686
> >>
> The problem with this kernel is that I purged it when /boot was
> mistakenly mounted on some other device. So apt worked as far as its
> database is concerned, but the package's files remained on the original
> /boot. Now that I have the correct boot, I would like to install the
> package again and then follow by purging it so that aptitude now removes
> all the files from the correct /boot.

Since they are stale files, not associated with any installed package,
why not simply delete the files?

Cheers,
Tom

--
What you don't know won't help you much either.
-- D. Bennett
From: H.S. on
On 02/06/10 11:19 AM, Tom Furie wrote:

> Since they are stale files, not associated with any installed package,
> why not simply delete the files?

Yes, that is one option. But how do I make sure I got all the stale
files? If a package is known by apt, I can use "dpkg -L <package name"
to see which files are installed and where. In this case, however, dpkg
cannot tell me that.

ever having been read.