From: Jozsi Vadkan on
Did anyone managed to boot from RAID1?

Lenny gives this error message:

"mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md0"

I just want to install Debian Lenny on two pendrives [in sRAID1], so
that the HDD's in the pc can be used only as ""data containers"", but it
gives this error message.

Please help me.

Thank you!

Jozsi Vadkan wrote:

> Did anyone managed to boot from RAID1?
>
> Lenny gives this error message:
>
> "mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md0"
>
> I just want to install Debian Lenny on two pendrives [in sRAID1], so
> that the HDD's in the pc can be used only as ""data containers"", but it
> gives this error message.
>
> Please help me.
>
> Thank you!

If you don't know why this is happening, then you shouldn't be doing this!

This is because you don't have the md driver _in_ the kernel

You'll need a small i.e. 20-30MB partition out of raid to boot from with
i.e. initrd which loads the md driver and your raid device becomes visible.

It doesn't matter if it's a pendrive or something else.

regards

But i thought that, I can boot from RAID1 under Lenny. So i can't?

So the solution is that I need a separate /boot partition?

But the RAID will be useless then...

Jozsi Vadkan wrote:

> But i thought that, I can boot from RAID1 under Lenny. So i can't?

As matter of fact there is not enough information to say exactly what's your
issue, but this is an option I would check.

> So the solution is that I need a separate /boot partition?

In your case if the md driver is not compiled into the kernel

> But the RAID will be useless then...

No because you can have those 30MBs backuped and restored easily - the raid
is holding the data.

You can also try debugging the initrd you are using to see what is going on
or give us more information on your setup - partitioning, grub/lilo setup
etc.

there are many ways to get the job done!

regards

rootdelay=15 worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!