From: Andrei Popescu on
On Mi, 30 iun 10, 17:34:22, H.S. wrote:

> So now I know that my backups most probably are not trustworthy, the
> ones from the last four or so days. No problem. I do rolling backups
> using cron and rsync. But what I do now? Do I just delete the backups
> from the last four days and resume regular ones?

Don't you have some method of checking the integrity of you backups?
(http://www.taobackup.com/integrity.html)

> How risky is the
> partition even though the manufacturer's diagnostic utility reports no
> errors now.

It is considered that a modern drive developing bad sectors visible to
the system[1] is not to be trusted.

[1] drives are remapping bad sectors internally, until they run out of
spare sectors.

> Another thing, I get this when I log in to a console, what is it all about?
> #-------------------------------------------------------------#
> Last login: Wed Jun 30 17:23:40 EDT 2010 from localhost on pts/9
> /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker: line 3:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-cpu-checker: No such file or directory
> /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker: line 3: exec:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-cpu-checker: cannot execute: No
> such file
> or directory
> run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker exited with return code 126
> /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available: line 3:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available: No such file or
> directory
> /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available: line 3: exec:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available: cannot execute:
> No such file or directory
> run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available exited with return
> code 126
> /etc/update-motd.d/98-reboot-required: line 3:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-reboot-required: No such file or
> directory
> /etc/update-motd.d/98-reboot-required: line 3: exec:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-reboot-required: cannot execute: No
> such file or directory
> run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/98-reboot-required exited with return code 126

This looks like filesystem corruption, did you fsck the drive/partition?

Regards,
Andrei
On Jo, 01 iul 10, 18:42:26, H.S. wrote:

> Okay, did all these, but that set of file not found errors upon console
> login is still there.

They are probably gone. If you want to try to repair the system (versus
reinstalling from scratch) you can just reinstall each package
containing the missing files (dpkg -S or apt-file can help).

You might need the --force-confmiss option to dpkg.

Regards,
Andrei
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 05:34:22PM -0400, H.S. wrote:

> So now I know that my backups most probably are not trustworthy, the
> ones from the last four or so days. No problem. I do rolling backups
> using cron and rsync. But what I do now?

Now you buy at least two new disks, preferably some that are rated for 24/7,
set them up as a RAID-1 (or RAID-5) with mdadm and copy your data onto
the RAID as best as you can.

NEVER keep data on a single disk only.