From: Clive McBarton on

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:53:20 -0400 (EDT), Clive McBarton wrote:

> My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten periodically. Any ideas why?
>
> I thought network-manager was the culprit and deinstaled it, but the
> problem persists.

I've had this happen to me when I switch between a hard-wired
ethernet connection and a dial-up PPP connection. When on the
road and using a dial-up connection, I enter

ifdown eth0
pon

Once the ppp connection comes up, /etc/resolv.conf has changed to
identify the DNS servers supplied by the dial-up ISP, which
are different than the DNS servers supplied via DHCP over my
ethernet cable modem connection at home.

This may not be your exact situation, but maybe it will give you
some ideas. Perhaps switching between hard-wired ethernet and
wireless could do something similar? I don't know.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:53:20 +0100, Clive McBarton wrote:

> My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten periodically. Any ideas why?

Maybe because you are using a DHCP setup?

***
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Definingthe.28DNS.29Nameservers

The C library and other resolver libraries look to /etc/resolv.conf for a
list of nameservers. In the simplest case, that is the file to edit to
set the list of name servers. *But note that various other programs for
dynamic configuration will be happy to overwrite your settings:*

1. The resolvconf program
2. The network-manager daemon
3. DHCP clients
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Clive McBarton wrote:

> My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten periodically. Any ideas why?
>
> I thought network-manager was the culprit and deinstaled it, but the
> problem persists.

dhcpd can do it.

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowcat Systems Ltd.

Clive McBarton schreef:
> My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten periodically. Any ideas why?
>
> I thought network-manager was the culprit and deinstaled it, but the
> problem persists.
As mentioned by others, /etc/resolv.conf is polled by the system when it
needs info on how to do a dns lookup. Therefore, dhcp, ifconfig (ifup),
wicd, network-mananger etc all can write to that file when they set up
some interface.
Therefore, dns settings should be set either via dhcp, in
/etc/networks/interfaces or via some user-leven config framework like
wicd or network-manager.

Sjoerd