From: Alan Ianson on
On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 22:03 -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2010 21:27:40 Alan Ianson wrote:

> > > You need the Radeon driver, not ATI. There might be some related glx
> > > package. I use mesa-utils to test , glxgears.
> >
> > Thanks for the info, I changed it to radeon, still no 3D acceleration
> > though and glxgears gives me a segmentation fault.. maybe there is a bug
> > in radeon ATM, I'm not sure.
>
> I like the suggestion of 'no xorg.conf' file. The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file
> will help troubleshoot issues.

I have been using "ati" in xorg.conf because that is what I have been
using for the built in video port or else weird things happen, but I'll
try without with this card plugged in and see.

If I can't sort it I'll post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log in a
day or two.

Thanks for the help.. :)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:38:19 -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:

> My nvidia card bit the dust and I was given an "ATI Technologies Inc
> RV370 [Radeon X300SE]" as a loaner. It runs fine and everything looks
> good on the desktop, but when I run an app that requires 3D acceleration
> everything seems to run slowly.
>
> I have been using a minimal xorg.conf that simply loads the nvidia
> driver and that worked well for the nvidia card. I changed "nvidia" to
> "ati" in xorg.conf and the desktop comes up OK but 3D acceleration
> doesn't seem to work.

AFAIK, "ati" is an unrecognized string at "xorg.conf", as Greg already
pointed you.

nvidia → for nvidia 3D proprietary drivers
fglrx → for ati 3D proprietary drivers
nv → for nvidia 2D open drivers
radeon → for ati 3D open drivers
radeonhd → for ati 3D open drivers

> Any ideas on what I need to change?

http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Jo, 24 iun 10, 19:58:45, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2010 18:38:19 Alan Ianson wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas on what I need to change?
>
> You need the Radeon driver, not ATI. There might be some related glx package.
> I use mesa-utils to test , glxgears.

Also check 'dmesg' for any missing firmware messages.

Regards,
Andrei