From: David Jardine on
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 05:29:18PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:01 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> > Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as well.
> >
> > It contains only commented lines from previous
> > experiments. Hasn't changed since the log was
> > recorded. Should be visible here.
> >
> > http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.xorg.conf
> >

> I see. All comments. Which is about the same as not having one. Hmm.

Or is it? I'm as baffled as anyone alse by xorg configuration, but
can't such a file, blank though it be, override some other config file?
Just a thought.

David

On Sat,22.May.10, 00:55:34, David Jardine wrote:

> > I see. All comments. Which is about the same as not having one. Hmm.
>
> Or is it? I'm as baffled as anyone alse by xorg configuration, but
> can't such a file, blank though it be, override some other config file?
> Just a thought.

It's not impossible to have different logic for when the file exists,
even if entirely commented out[1]. I can think of two ways to check
this:

- read the source
- diff Xorg.0.log files from starting X with an empty (or completely
commented out) xorg.conf and one with an xorg.conf specifying the same
driver X would choose.

[1] at least in shell scripts it's much easier to check for the
existence of a file than parsing its contents

Regards,
Andrei

Pages: 1
Prev: laptop computer