From: T o n g on
Hi,

I am astonished to find out that my ~/.xsession-errors grows to a
humongous 640M! My wife's is nearly 400M as well. This is way way too
big.

I took a look, the reason and cure is very simple -- having X to trunk it
each time when started
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876)
whereas currently, my ~/.xsession-errors kept logs back to stone age.

However, such reasonable request has been tabled for 6 years now. The DD
gave loads of irrelevant reasons as excuse of not fixing it. Ref:

Any comment?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 11:18:57 T o n g wrote:
> I am astonished to find out that my ~/.xsession-errors grows to a
> humongous 640M! My wife's is nearly 400M as well. This is way way too
> big.
>
> I took a look, the reason and cure is very simple -- having X to trunk it
> each time when started
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876)
> whereas currently, my ~/.xsession-errors kept logs back to stone age.
>
> However, such reasonable request has been tabled for 6 years now. The DD
> gave loads of irrelevant reasons as excuse of not fixing it. Ref:
>
> Any comment?

For what reason can't you simply modify you Xsession file to do as you like?
It is a conffile, so your changes would be preserved through upgrades.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-05-19 18:18 +0200, T o n g wrote:

> I am astonished to find out that my ~/.xsession-errors grows to a
> humongous 640M! My wife's is nearly 400M as well. This is way way too
> big.
>
> I took a look, the reason and cure is very simple -- having X to trunk it
> each time when started
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876)
> whereas currently, my ~/.xsession-errors kept logs back to stone age.
>
> However, such reasonable request has been tabled for 6 years now. The DD
> gave loads of irrelevant reasons as excuse of not fixing it. Ref:
>
> Any comment?

You may want to follow up on these bugs, since the _current_ X
developers in Debian never spoke up. And I think that there is so much
crapware that puts out useless junk on stderr or stdout (the worst
offender is KDE4 software, until you find out that is possible to put an
end to this by running kdebugdialog) that the battle to make
~/.xsession-errors useful has long been lost.

Sven

--
% grep errors ~/.xsession

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 06:45:04PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-05-19 18:18 +0200, T o n g wrote:
>
> > I am astonished to find out that my ~/.xsession-errors grows to a
> > humongous 640M! My wife's is nearly 400M as well. This is way way too
> > big.
> >
> > I took a look, the reason and cure is very simple -- having X to trunk it
> > each time when started
> > (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876)
> > whereas currently, my ~/.xsession-errors kept logs back to stone age.
> >
> > However, such reasonable request has been tabled for 6 years now. The DD
> > gave loads of irrelevant reasons as excuse of not fixing it. Ref:
> >
> > Any comment?
>
> You may want to follow up on these bugs, since the _current_ X
> developers in Debian never spoke up. And I think that there is so much
> crapware that puts out useless junk on stderr or stdout (the worst
> offender is KDE4 software, until you find out that is possible to put an
> end to this by running kdebugdialog) that the battle to make
> ~/.xsession-errors useful has long been lost.

FWIW, I don't have that problem, although /etc/X11/Xsession says:

exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1 (despite the solution proposed in¹)
echo "$PROGNAME: X session started for $LOGNAME at $(date)"

and the contents of it are, unsurprisingly:

"Xsession: X session started for dawud at mié may 19 18:25:05 CEST
2010"

$ ll .xsession-errors
-rw------- 1 dawud dawud 72 may 19 18:25 .xsession-errors

This is a Lenny box, BTW.
What are the perms for that file? maybe (wild guess) it lacks w?

Regards.

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB
From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am astonished to find out that my ~/.xsession-errors grows to a
> humongous 640M! My wife's is nearly 400M as well. This is way way too
> big.
>
> I took a look, the reason and cure is very simple -- having X to trunk it
> each time when started
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876)
> whereas currently, my ~/.xsession-errors kept logs back to stone age.
>
> However, such reasonable request has been tabled for 6 years now. The DD
> gave loads of irrelevant reasons as excuse of not fixing it. Ref:
>
> Any comment?

My .xsession-errors is now:

hugo(a)debian:~$ ls -l .xsession-errors
-rw-r--r-- 1 hugo hugo 200043 2010-05-19 12:34 .xsession-errors

and it is filled with:

error 173 request 152 minor 8 serial 1023
error 173 request 152 minor 8 serial 1176
error 173 request 152 minor 8 serial 1271
error 173 request 152 minor 8 serial 1323

I asked about that several times who knows where and when and nobody
answered, as will be the case here.

It gets that way after I do (in Fvwm)

Key F9 A M Exec /usr/local/bin/xcompmgr -c -f

so that I can make my onscreen monitors grow translucent to see what is
behind them:

Mouse 4 W S Exec /usr/bin/transset-df --min 0.1
--id=$[w.id] --dec 0.2
Mouse 5 W S Exec /usr/bin/transset-df -p --inc 0.1
--id=$[w.id]

But .xsession-errors gets initialized at the beginning of each session,
who knows why...

Hugo