From: Dotan Cohen on
One problematic machine running a Debian-based distro (ubuntu 9.10)
will answer to pings from other computers, but will not answer to
pings on 127.0.0.1 from itself. Likewise, it will not answer to pings
to localhost nor to its own IP address (pings to it's own IP address
are answered if I try from other machines, though). There is no
firewall installed on the machine and the /etc/hosts file has nothing
unusual. There is a Java program listening on port 8082, other than
that there is nothing unusual about this machine. What could be the
issue?

Thanks in advance.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

> Is there actually a "lo"?  Presumably that non-Debian machine is running
> Network Mangler.

Thank you Ron! That was it!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

> Is there actually a "lo"?  Presumably that non-Debian machine is running
> Network Mangler.

Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem. You are a genius!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

>> Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem. You are a genius!
>
> Well now we know at what level we have to start at when Dotan has a problem.

I never claimed not to be slow! Actually, I don't know if that was
meant to offend, but I am not offended. I learn a lot from this list.
Google me, you will see that I've been subscribed a long time but
barely ever post. Only this week, have I been slightly active. And yes
I STFA, STFW, and RTFM as much as I can. That's why I only asked two
or three questions the past few days, opposed to the tens of issues
that I have encountered in that time.

> Google didn't help with that problem???

No, but I didn't know which keywords to google. I'm wiser now.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

>> Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem.
>
> I'd wonder why there wasn't a lo in the first place...

I broke it trying to force the computer to take a specific IP address.
One of those issues that I decided to learn by doing, rather than
bugging the list about. Only when I got seriously stuck did I waste
the list bandwidth, and even then only with a very specific question.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com