From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-01 11:03, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> One problematic machine running a Debian-based distro (ubuntu 9.10)
> will answer to pings from other computers, but will not answer to
> pings on 127.0.0.1 from itself. Likewise, it will not answer to pings
> to localhost nor to its own IP address (pings to it's own IP address
> are answered if I try from other machines, though). There is no
> firewall installed on the machine and the /etc/hosts file has nothing
> unusual. There is a Java program listening on port 8082, other than
> that there is nothing unusual about this machine. What could be the
> issue?

Is there actually a "lo"? Presumably that non-Debian machine is
running Network Mangler.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is there actually a "lo"? Â Presumably that non-Debian machine is running
>> Network Mangler.
>>

> Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem. You are a genius!

Well now we know at what level we have to start at when Dotan has a problem.

Google didn't help with that problem???

Wayne

On 2010-04-01 11:20, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is there actually a "lo"? Presumably that non-Debian machine is running
>> Network Mangler.
>>

> Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem.

I'd wonder why there wasn't a lo in the first place...

> You are a genius!

Someone has to ask the dumb questions...

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem. You are a genius!
>> Well now we know at what level we have to start at when Dotan has a problem.
>>

> I never claimed not to be slow! Actually, I don't know if that was
> meant to offend, but I am not offended.

It was not meant to offend. It was a statement of fact. Your question
showed that you are not used to setting up networks. As you do not use
Debian, which requires some network setup in the raw. You use Ubuntu
which does this for you, or is supposed to. Therefore when you ask
networking questions we now know you have little knowledge of the basics
so that will require us to start asking very basic questions.

I would you suggest that the Ubuntu ML/Forum would be better suited to
your queries anyway being that you re using it and they are, probably,
use to questions from users of your level.

>> Google didn't help with that problem???
>>

> No, but I didn't know which keywords to google. I'm wiser now.

Ok Grasshopper. Here is a subject you could have used for google

can't ping 127.0.0.1 "linux" returns
Results 1 - 10 of about 604,000 for can't ping 127.0.0.1 "linux".

Look familiar to you?

Wayne

On 2010-04-01 12:24, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Adding lo to /etc/network/interfaces fixed the problem.
>> I'd wonder why there wasn't a lo in the first place...
>>

> I broke it trying to force the computer to take a specific IP address.
> One of those issues that I decided to learn by doing, rather than
> bugging the list about. Only when I got seriously stuck did I waste
> the list bandwidth, and even then only with a very specific question.

Don't know about others, but I sure made a lot of stupid mistakes
when I was green.