From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

I would like to define an alias with some `-' characters into it, in my
.bashrc. For example, if `this-is-my-alias' is my alias, I would use

==
alias 'this-is-my-alias'='some command to achieve'
==

It simply does not work. Why? I tried without `'' but emacs then stops
highlighting the word, which is no good sign. Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Instruction ends in the schoolroom, but education ends only with life.
(F. W. Robertson)

From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-05-06 19:31 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I would like to define an alias with some `-' characters into it, in my
> .bashrc. For example, if `this-is-my-alias' is my alias, I would use
>
> ==
> alias 'this-is-my-alias'='some command to achieve'
> ==
>
> It simply does not work. Why?

Don't know -- it works for me in bash 4.1.5(1)-release.

> I tried without `'' but emacs then stops
> highlighting the word, which is no good sign.

Syntax highlighting in Emacs' shell-script-mode leaves much to be
desired, so this is not really a bad sign. Does it work if you leave
out the apostrophes?

Sven

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:31:28PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> I would like to define an alias with some `-' characters into it, in my
> .bashrc. For example, if `this-is-my-alias' is my alias, I would use
>
> ==
> alias 'this-is-my-alias'='some command to achieve'
> ==

Hello,

It does work here. I defined:

alias this-is-a-test="uname -a"

in my .bashrc, and then I sourced it:

source .bashrc

Issuing the alias produces the expected results:

$ this-is-a-test
Linux ghost 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem #1 SMP Tue Mar 9 18:01:52 UTC 2010
i686 GNU/Linux

> It simply does not work. Why? I tried without `'' but emacs then stops
> highlighting the word, which is no good sign. Thanks.

Vim does not expect an alias word to contain dashes, and highlight
does not work as expected.

Regards.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB
From: Alexander Batischev on
Small note about highlighting — if you add quotes, emacs (and vim, and
any other editor with syntax highlighting as well) thinks that it's a
string and highlight it. If alias name isn't highlighted that doesn't
mean that it won't work. So don't think about highlighting —
everything works ;)

Sincerely,
Alexander Batischev

On 6 May 2010 20:31, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> It simply does not work. Why? I tried without `'' but emacs then stops
> highlighting the word, which is no good sign. Thanks.

Don't mind about highlighting — alias defined in away like that:

$ alias hello-world="echo 'hello world'"

will work. Tested on bash 4.1.5(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu).

Regards,
Alexander Batischev