From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <2fac8bb1-4c90-4421-b559-1ea7f0301d4f(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> On 18 Dez., 15:12, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > Why need I to think about a last one (which there isn't) to be able to
> > think about a set that contains all natural numbers? Apparently you
> > have some knowledge about how my mind works that I do not have.
>
> Yes. A very convincing and often required proof of completenes of a
> linear set is to know the last element.

Oh, is it often required?

> T talk about all in case there
> is no last is silly.

And I think it is silly to require there being a last to be able to talk
about all.

> > > To live with that axiom does not create uncountability. See the proof
> > > here:
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/browse_frm/thread/46fa18c8bb=
> >
> > Where is the proof there? I see only you writing a bit of nonsense and
> > two rebuttals.
>
> One of the rebuttals has meanwhile been changed. Peter Webb
> recognized: It is true that you cannot show pi as a finite decimal,
> but you can't show 1/3 as a finite decimal either.

So what? That is not contested and it does not show in *any* way that the
axiom of infinity does not create uncountability. So no proof at all.

And just wat I said: see the quote above:
> [...]

which you contested.

> > > The axiom of infinity establishes the set N from finite numbers.
> >
> > It establishes the *existence* of a set N of finite numbers.
>
> What else should be established?

Does not matter. The axiom of infinity does *not* construct infinite paths
in your tree, beacuse you stated that your tree did not contain infinite
paths a priori. So those infinite things are not paths by your statement.
Neither does the axiom of infinity establish a finite set N of all finite
numbers.

> > > It establishes the infinite paths as well in my tree from finite
> > > paths.
> >
> > No. That is impossible because you stated that the paths were finite.
> > What it *does* establish is the extistence of a set P of finite paths.
>
> It is rather silly to argue about the uncountability of the set of
> paths. Only minds completely disformed by set theory could try to
> defend the obviously false position that there were uncountably many
> paths.

But: if you consider only finite sequences of nodes as paths, there *are*
countably many paths. You continuously confuse what you consider being
a path and what others consider a path.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <9ad63bf1-549b-4822-bf86-839dd7c64d58(a)j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

> > > That is true. Therefore it does not exist.
> >
> > That you can not get there step by step does not mean that it does not
> > exist.
>
> That you cannot get step by step to 1/0 does not mean that it does not
> exist?

Indeed. On the projective line (that precedes Cantor by quite some time as
far as I know) it does exist.

> > > However, see Cantor,
> > > collected works, p 445:
> > > 0, 1, 2, 3, ... w_0, w_0 + 1, ..., gamma, ...,
> > > He seems to reach far more.
> >
> > Right, he uses a convention that is no longer used.
>
> Wrong, it is used presently, for instance by myself.

But you are not a mathematician.

> > > No. But the union contains two paths.
> >
> > Wrong. If we look at the paths as sets, they are sets of nodes. Their
> > union is a set of nodes, not a set of paths. And as a set of nodes we
> > can form from them seven different paths.
>
> Wrong. The nodes of two paths give exactly two paths.

Darn, the paths 0.000 and 0.100 contain the following nodes:
0.000 = {0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.000} and 0.100 = {0., 0.1, 0.10, 0.100}
where a node is named by the path leading to it. Their union contains
the following paths:
0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.000, 0.1, 0.10, 0.100
and I count seven.

> > > Let every finite path of every infinite path be mapped on the elements
> > > of omega. That was simple.
> >
> > By your statements infinite paths do not exist. But pray give such a
> > mapping. Until now you have only asserted that such a mapping exists
> > without showing that.
>
> Do you accept the mapping from omega on SUM{k = 1 to n} 3*10^-k yields
> the infinite decimal expansion of 1/3?

*What* mapping? Do you mean from n in omega -> SUM...? In that case the
infinite decimal expansion of 1/3 is unmapped.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
From: WM on
On 21 Dez., 14:17, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> In article <2fac8bb1-4c90-4421-b559-1ea7f0301...(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups..com> WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
>  > On 18 Dez., 15:12, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
>  > > Why need I to think about a last one (which there isn't) to be able to
>  > > think about a set that contains all natural numbers?  Apparently you
>  > > have some knowledge about how my mind works that I do not have.
>  >
>  > Yes. A very convincing and often required proof of completenes of a
>  > linear set is to know the last element.
>
> Oh, is it often required?

Except in matheology it is always required.

>  >                                         T talk about all in case there
>  > is no last is silly.
>
> And I think it is silly to require there being a last to be able to talk
> about all.

That's why you love matheology.

>  > >  > >  > > Right, but there is no finite initial segment that contains them
>  > >  > >  > > all.
>  > >  > > Sorry, I have no knowledge of the bible.  But live without that axiom
>  > >  > > when you can't stomach it.  And do not attack mathematicians who
>  > >  > > live with that axiom.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > To live with that axiom does not create uncountability. See the proof
>  > >  > here:
>  > >  >http://groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/browse_frm/thread/46fa18c8bb=
>  > ...
>  > >
>  > > Where is the proof there?  I see only you writing a bit of nonsense and
>  > > two rebuttals.
>  >
>  > One of the rebuttals has meanwhile been changed. Peter Webb
>  > recognized: It is true that you cannot show pi as a finite decimal,
>  > but you can't show 1/3 as a finite decimal either.
>
> So what?  That is not contested and it does not show in *any* way that the
> axiom of infinity does not create uncountability.  So no proof at all.

It may create what you like. Either 1/3 can be identified at a finite
digit or 1/3 cannot be identified at a finite digit.

Even a matheologian should understand that: If there is no digit at a
finite place up to that the sequence 0.333... identifies the number
1/3, then there is no digit at a finite place up to that the number
1/3 can be identified.

>  > Just what I said.
>
> And just wat I said: see the quote above:
>  > >  > >  > > Right, but there is no finite initial segment that contains them
>  > >  > >  > > all.
>
> which you contested.

I did not contest it. I said, if there is a sequence that identifies
1/3, then the identifying digits must be at finite places. But we know
that for every finite place d_n, there is a sequence d_1, ..., d_n
that is not 1/3 but is identical to the sequence of 1/3. Therefore we
can conclude that there is no sequence identifying the number 1/3 by
means of digits at finite places only.

>  > >  > > The infinite paths because you stated a priori that your tree did
>  > >  > > not contain infinite paths.  So it is impossible to construct in
>  > >  > > your tree infinite paths by the axiom of infinity.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > The axiom of infinity establishes the set N from finite numbers.
>  > >
>  > > It establishes the *existence* of a set N of finite numbers.
>  >
>  > What else should be established?
>
> Does not matter.  The axiom of infinity does *not* construct infinite paths
> in your tree, beacuse you stated that your tree did not contain infinite
> paths a priori.

The union of finite ínitial segments cannot ield an infinite initial
segment? Does the sequence of 1/3 not consist of a union of all finite
initial segments?

Regards, WM
From: WM on
On 21 Dez., 14:23, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> In article <9ad63bf1-549b-4822-bf86-839dd7c64...(a)j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com> WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
>  > On 18 Dez., 15:19, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
>  > >  > > No, it is a matter of convention.  In mathematics
>  > >  > >     a, b, c, ..., z
>  > >  > > means a, b, c, continue this way until you reach z.  But starting
>  > >  > >     {1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2, 3}
>  > >  > > and going on you never reach
>  > >  > >     {1, 2, 3, ...}
>  > >  >
>  > >  > That is true. Therefore it does not exist.
>  > >
>  > > That you can not get there step by step does not mean that it does not
>  > > exist.
>  >
>  > That you cannot get step by step to 1/0 does not mean that it does not
>  > exist?
>
> Indeed.  On the projective line (that precedes Cantor by quite some time as
> far as I know) it does exist.

But does the projective line exist?

>  > >  >                                   However, see Cantor,
>  > >  > collected works, p 445:
>  > >  > 0, 1, 2, 3, ... w_0, w_0 + 1, ..., gamma, ...,
>  > >  > He seems to reach far more.
>  > >
>  > > Right, he uses a convention that is no longer used.
>  >
>  > Wrong, it is used presently, for instance by myself.
>
> But you are not a mathematician.

Do you think so? I studied mathematics and a university council
appointed me to teach mathematical lessons. Have you better insights
than they? Or have you only a different definition of mathematics? Do
you mean that I am not a matheologian? Then you are right!

>  > >  > No. But the union contains two paths.
>  > >
>  > > Wrong.  If we look at the paths as sets, they are sets of nodes.  Their
>  > > union is a set of nodes, not a set of paths.  And as a set of nodes we
>  > > can form from them seven different paths.
>  >
>  > Wrong. The nodes of two paths give exactly two paths.
>
> Darn, the paths 0.000 and 0.100 contain the following nodes:
> 0.000 = {0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.000} and 0.100 = {0., 0.1, 0.10, 0.100}
> where a node is named by the path leading to it.  Their union contains
> the following paths:
>        0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.000, 0.1, 0.10, 0.100
> and I count seven.

The nodes of two maximal paths give two maximal paths. You count
initial segments.

>  > >  > Let every finite path of every infinite path be mapped on the elements
>  > >  > of omega. That was simple.
>  > >
>  > > By your statements infinite paths do not exist.  But pray give such a
>  > > mapping.  Until now you have only asserted that such a mapping exists
>  > > without showing that.
>  >
>  > Do you accept the mapping from omega on SUM{k = 1 to n} 3*10^-k yields
>  > the infinite decimal expansion of 1/3?
>
> *What* mapping?  Do you mean from n in omega -> SUM...?  In that case the
> infinite decimal expansion of 1/3 is unmapped.

The sum of all finite segments is not the infinite path. Interesting.

Regards, WM
From: Marshall on
On Dec 21, 9:15 am, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 21 Dez., 14:23, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > Right, he uses a convention that is no longer used.
> >  >
> >  > Wrong, it is used presently, for instance by myself.
>
> > But you are not a mathematician.
>
> Do you think so? I studied mathematics and a university council
> appointed me to teach mathematical lessons. Have you better insights
> than they?

Obviously.

Marshall