From: Dik T. Winter on
In article <b484e377-9dc2-424b-80c3-2912165f636c(a)a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> On 21 Dez., 14:23, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:
> > > That you cannot get step by step to 1/0 does not mean that it does not
> > > exist?
> >
> > Indeed. On the projective line (that precedes Cantor by quite some time
> > as far as I know) it does exist.
>
> But does the projective line exist?

Exist in what sense? But it is a concept from projective geometry, but
perhaps you think that is also nonsense? I may note that the point at
infinity was developed by Kepler and Desargues in the 17th century.

> > > Wrong, it is used presently, for instance by myself.
> >
> > But you are not a mathematician.
>
> Do you think so?

Yes, I think so and your inability to provide definitions and proper
proofs shows it.

> I studied mathematics and a university council
> appointed me to teach mathematical lessons.

Well, the same did hold for my father, but he never considered himself
a mathematician, but a physicist.

> > > Wrong. The nodes of two paths give exactly two paths.
> >
> > Darn, the paths 0.000 and 0.100 contain the following nodes:
> > 0.000 = {0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.000} and 0.100 = {0., 0.1, 0.10, 0.100}
> > where a node is named by the path leading to it. Their union contains
> > the following paths:
> > 0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.000, 0.1, 0.10, 0.100
> > and I count seven.
>
> The nodes of two maximal paths give two maximal paths. You count
> initial segments.

I did not count segments, I counted paths. You stated there are only
two paths in the union, I count seven paths. Or are those seven things
suddenly not paths?

> > > Do you accept the mapping from omega on SUM{k = 1 to n} 3*10^-k
> > > yields the infinite decimal expansion of 1/3?
> >
> > *What* mapping? Do you mean from n in omega -> SUM...? In that case
> > the infinite decimal expansion of 1/3 is unmapped.
>
> The sum of all finite segments is not the infinite path. Interesting.

You have stated that your paths are finite, so I consider the mentioning
of an infinite path strange. Moreover, you are now talking about sums,
not about paths. But *what* n in omega maps to the infinite decimal
expansion? You have not stated that. And if you think the infinite
expansion is mapped you should be able to state an element of omega
that maps to that infinite path.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
From: Virgil on
In article <Kv251u.sI(a)cwi.nl>, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter(a)cwi.nl>
wrote:

> > The union contains subsets.

> > > Well, if you want to use terminology in a different meaning than
> > > standard, of course.
> >
> > To contain as a subset is not correct in English?
>
> It is correct English but misleading in a set theoretic context.

A set can contain something as a subset OR contain something as a
member, but these are different containment relationships, neither of
which necessitates the other.

WM has the bad habit of using "contain" ambiguously. It often seems that
he is being purposely ambiguous about it.

Proper mathematical usage requires that "contain" be used unambiguously,
whenever there can be any doubt, by explicitly stating in each such
instance whether it means the subset or the membership relation.
From: Ross A. Finlayson on
On Dec 19, 5:20 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <500d09c4-6322-417e-a4d9-f9716b19e...(a)c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 19, 12:14 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <2fac8bb1-4c90-4421-b559-1ea7f0301...(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Knowing the allegedly last element in a set does not work unless one has
> > > imposed a linear ordering on the set, which is in no wise necessary for
> > > sethood. Which is the "last" point of the set of points on a circle?

> > > Then stop doing it. There is a perfectly adequate proof that one cannot
> > > have a list of paths that contains all paths, or , equivalently, one
> > > cannot have a list of all subset of N.
> > >  Since being capable of being listed is a necessary requirement for
> > > countability, that proof eliminates countability for the set of all
> > > paths s well as for the power set of any infinite set.

> > > Minds thus "deformed" by set theory are often capable of creating valid
> > > proofs that WM not only cannot create but also cannot even follow.

> > > 1 = 1.000... is a real number with an infinite decimal expansion, and in
> > > ZF there are infinitely many more of them.
>
> > > I know not what a "due path" is, but in my infinite binary tree, whose
> > > nodes are the members of N, every path is an infinite subset of N, and
> > > there are more of them than even WM can count.

> > > Then in WM's world, 1.000... is not a real number.
>
> > > Odd of him, but he has always been odd.
>
> > There you assume the consistency of the statement "Dedekind/Cauchy is
> > complete"
>
> Not at all!
>
> I merely note that every rational integer is included among the reals,
> in both the Dedekind construction and the Cauchy construction, and 1 is
> nicely both rational and integral.

Oh, so 1 = 1.000... now, eh.

Good luck with that.

Regards,

Ross F.
From: Marshall on
On Dec 22, 5:27 pm, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 19, 5:20 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
>
> > Not at all!
>
> > I merely note that every rational integer is included among the reals,
> > in both the Dedekind construction and the Cauchy construction, and 1 is
> > nicely both rational and integral.
>
> Oh, so 1 = 1.000... now, eh.
>
> Good luck with that.

He won't need it. 1 the ratio is the same number as 1
the natural, is the same number as 1 the member of
any other set.

Unless you confuse numbers and their representations.

Marshall
From: WM on
On 22 Dez., 15:28, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...(a)cwi.nl> wrote:

>  > Even a matheologian should understand that: If there is no digit at a
>  > finite place up to that the sequence 0.333... identifies the number
>  > 1/3, then there is no digit at a finite place up to that the number
>  > 1/3 can be identified.
>
> Right, there is no digit at a finite place up to that the number 1/3 can be
> identified.  And as there are no digits at infinite places that appears to
> you to be a paradox.  It is not.  There is *no* finite sequence of digits
> that identifies 1/3.  But there is an *infinite* sequence of digits that
> does so.

Why not pronounce it a bit clearer? We know that every digit is the
last digit of a finite initial segment of digits. There is no other
digit, is it?
Therefore your statement can be expressed in the following way: There
is no finite initial segment that identifies 1/3. But there is an
infinite finite initial segment that identifies 1/3.

If you read this sentence, perhaps you get an impression of what
matheology is?

>  >                       I said, if there is a sequence that identifies
>  > 1/3, then the identifying digits must be at finite places.
>
> Right, all identifying digits (there are infinitely many) are at finite
> places.

Therefore your statement can be expressed in the following way: There
is no finite initial segment that identifies 1/3. But there is an
infinite finite initial segment that identifies 1/3.

>  > The union of finite initial segments cannot ield an infinite initial
>  > segment?
>
> Yes.  But as you have stated that your tree contained finite paths only,
> such an infinite initial segment is not (according to *your* definition)
> a path.

The axiom of infinity states: There is an infinite set such that with
every n the follower of n belongs to the set. This is true for the
binary tree. With every finite path 1, ..., n the follower 1, ..., n+1
is in the tree. The union of all those paths of course is finite, as I
said, because there is no infinite path, but according to the axiom it
is infinite.

>  >          Does the sequence of 1/3 not consist of a union of all finite
>  > initial segments?
>
> It is, but also (according to *your* definition) it is not a path.

There can be no question: The union of all finite initial segments is
finite. But according to the axiom, it is infinite. So we can both be
well pleased.

Regards, WM