From: Mike Viau on

Hello list,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a package or means to look at any or all of the information from a given executable binary file:

- What compiler compiled it

- What (source) language was it compiled from

- What computer architecture the file was compiled for

- How many hardware bits was the file intended for (eg. 32-bit or 64-bit encoding)

- Endianness

If any of the above a simply not possible because of the nature all binary files, it would be helpful to know that too.

Thanks.

-M

MSN Dating: Find someone special. Start now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729707
From: Anand Sivaram on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 20:32, Mike Viau <viaum(a)sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could suggest a package or means to look at any
> or all of the information from a given executable binary file:
>
> - What compiler compiled it
>
> - What (source) language was it compiled from
>
> - What computer architecture the file was compiled for
>
> - How many hardware bits was the file intended for (eg. 32-bit or 64-bit
> encoding)
>
> - Endianness
>

> If any of the above a simply not possible because of the nature all binary
> files, it would be helpful to know that too.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -M
>

> ------------------------------
> MSN Dating: Find someone special. Start now. Start now!<http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729702>

Also you could try and analyze the output of the following
readelf -a <executable>
ldd <executable>
strings <executable>
For example most of the files compiled with g++ has a dependability on
libstdc++.so.6
From: John Hasler on
Anand Sivaram writes:
> I was wondering if anyone could suggest a package or means to look at
> any or all of the information from a given executable binary file:

Try readelf, from the binutils package.
--
John Hasler

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:22:01 +0530 < aspnair(a)gmail.com > wrote:

Wow the output of readelf -a <executable> was really helpful, which contained information like:

ELF Header:
Magic: 7f 45 4c 46 02 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Class: ELF64
Data: 2's complement, little endian
Version: 1 (current)
OS/ABI: UNIX - System V
ABI Version: 0
Type: EXEC (Executable file)
Machine: Advanced Micro Devices X86-64
Version: 0x1
Entry point address: 0x401210
Start of program headers: 64 (bytes into file)
Start of section headers: 15296 (bytes into file)
Flags: 0x0
Size of this header: 64 (bytes)
Size of program headers: 56 (bytes)
Number of program headers: 8
Size of section headers: 64 (bytes)
Number of section headers: 37
Section header string table index: 34

30 days of prizes to be won with Hotmail. Enter Here.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729709
From: owens on

I have never seen an executable with this info.. Usually the
compiler itself strips out any info such as you request.
Larry