From: Alan Chandler on
On 30/05/10 23:46, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Can anyone help me with this?

Have you tried the unetbootin package. I have an little device that is
a usb connector with a slot in the side for an sd card. I have been
using unetbootin to create various bootable versions of the different
distributions out there to try something. In particular I was doing
this with Debian squeeze.

I then moved the result over to a small Dell Mini 12 laptop I have which
can boot off an SD card to boot it (and once running there is an option
to install it - but that is beyond your scope).

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wanted to install Debian on my eeepc.

Recently I have successfully installed Debian on my eeepc (Surf 4GB)
following this tutorial:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/InstallOnSDcardOrUsbStick

Now, I'm booting Debian from USB or Xandros from HD.

It's easy and works out-the-box.

-Andrea

--
Openclose.it - Idee per il software libero
http://www.openclose.it

Marc Shapiro wrote:

> My wife has an early eeepc with a 4GB SSD running Xandros. She would like
> to change the OS so that she can install other software easily. I have a
> newer eeepc with a 160GB HD that came with the OS that must not be named
> and now also has Eeebuntu 3.0.
>
> I wanted to install Debian on my eeepc.

identify your drive i.e.

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdd
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdd1 * 1 17 136521 83 Linux
/dev/sdd2 18 9729 78011640 83 Linux

using the legacy version of grub you can identify the system in charge

grub> find /grub/menu.lst
find /grub/menu.lst
find /grub/menu.lst
(hd3,0)
grub> root (hd3)
grub> setup (hd3,0)

if /boot is on the root partition then use "find /boot/grub/menu.lst"

then probably you'ld fix your boot properties to use UID for boot and give a
root=UUID=... as kernel option for booting

regards

> Have you tried the unetbootin package. I have an little

That may be the answer. It now dawns on me that the only times that I have actually booted from the SD on an eee were to boot install media, and it was using unetbootin. I will give it a try.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42(a)yahoo.com