From: Max Usachev on
Hello!
I have a problem with UPS FSP EP650 with COM-port and Debian. The device
is workable (I have tested it under Windows), but under Linux it doesn't
works.

My hardware:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-D510UD (Intel NM10, iTE IT8720 chipset) (Intel
Atom 510 processor)
UPS: FSP EP 650

My software:
Debian Squeeze with kernel 2.6.32-5
NUT

COM-ports has detected:
dmesg | grep tty
[ 1.244470] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 1.244596] serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
[ 1.245034] 00:08: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 1.245223] 00:09: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
The same IRQ modes setted in BIOS.

but cat /dev/ttyS0 or cat /dev/ttyS1 shows blank screen
minicom doesn't work also

I use NUT for my ups with following ups.conf:
user = root

[fsp]
driver = apcsmart
port = /dev/ttyS0

nas:~# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 2.03 (2.4.3)
APC command table version 2.1
Unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
Check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Also I tried to write and read something from COM-port using simple
program written in Python - no results.
A suppose, that it is lowlevel problem with modules or kernel.

Can anybody help me?

Best regards, Max Usachev

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:44:00 +0300, Max Usachev wrote:

> I have a problem with UPS FSP EP650 with COM-port and Debian. The device
> is workable (I have tested it under Windows), but under Linux it doesn't
> works.

(...)

Most likely a problem coming from:

1/ NUT has wrong permissions to access serial port
2/ NUT device driver is wrong

(...)

> I use NUT for my ups with following ups.conf: user = root
>
> [fsp]
> driver = apcsmart
^^^^^^^^

Are you sure this driver is the correct one for your UPS? :-?

> port = /dev/ttyS0
>
> nas:~# upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3 Network UPS Tools - APC
> Smart protocol driver 2.03 (2.4.3) APC command table version 2.1
> Unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0 Check the
> cabling, port name or model name and try again Driver failed to start
> (exit status=1)

Additional data for your review:

***
[Nut-upsuser] FSP UPS not listed as supported, but seems to work... at
least a little...
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2010-April/006023.html
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

26.07.2010 12:11, Camaleón пишет:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:44:00 +0300, Max Usachev wrote:
>

>> I have a problem with UPS FSP EP650 with COM-port and Debian. The device
>> is workable (I have tested it under Windows), but under Linux it doesn't
>> works.
>>
> (...)
>
> Most likely a problem coming from:
>
> 1/ NUT has wrong permissions to access serial port

Permissions is Ok, couse I get errors when comment user = root.
> 2/ NUT device driver is wrong
>
> (...)
>

>> I use NUT for my ups with following ups.conf: user = root
>>
>> [fsp]
>> driver = apcsmart
>>
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you sure this driver is the correct one for your UPS? :-?

I hope, but apcupsd also doesn't work correct:

2010-07-26 17:00:31 apctest 3.14.8 (16 January 2010) debian
Checking configuration ...
Attached to driver: apcsmart
sharenet.type = DISABLE
cable.type = CUSTOM_SMART

You are using a SMART cable type, so I'm entering SMART test mode
mode.type = APCSMART_UPS
Setting up the port ...
apctest FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 184
PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
apctest error termination completed

I think, it is general Kernel + COM-port problem

>> port = /dev/ttyS0
>>
>> nas:~# upsdrvctl start
>> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3 Network UPS Tools - APC
>> Smart protocol driver 2.03 (2.4.3) APC command table version 2.1
>> Unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0 Check the
>> cabling, port name or model name and try again Driver failed to start
>> (exit status=1)
>>
> Additional data for your review:
>
> ***
> [Nut-upsuser] FSP UPS not listed as supported, but seems to work... at
> least a little...
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2010-April/006023.html
> ***

They use UPS with USB port.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:02:26 +0300, Max Usachev wrote:

> 26.07.2010 12:11, Camaleón пишет:

>> Most likely a problem coming from:
>>
>> 1/ NUT has wrong permissions to access serial port
>>
> Permissions is Ok, couse I get errors when comment user = root.

You have to check udev rules.

http://blog.shadypixel.com/monitoring-a-ups-with-nut-on-debian-or-ubuntu-linux/

>>> [fsp]
>>> driver = apcsmart
>>>
>> ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Are you sure this driver is the correct one for your UPS? :-?
>>
> I hope,

No "hoping" here :-), just review the list of NUT supported devices and
if yours is not listed, start trying with a generic one (i.e., "genericups")

> but apcupsd also doesn't work correct:
>
> 2010-07-26 17:00:31 apctest 3.14.8 (16 January 2010) debian Checking
> configuration ...
> Attached to driver: apcsmart
> sharenet.type = DISABLE
> cable.type = CUSTOM_SMART
>
> You are using a SMART cable type, so I'm entering SMART test mode
> mode.type = APCSMART_UPS
> Setting up the port ...
> apctest FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 184 PANIC! Cannot
> communicate with UPS via serial port. Please make sure the port
> specified on the DEVICE directive is correct, and that your cable
> specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct. apctest error
> termination completed

I'd say "APC UPSs" are not very "generic" ("smart" models need special
serial -pin reversed- serial cable). Try with another driver.

> I think, it is general Kernel + COM-port problem

Anything in "/var/log/syslog" supporting that thinking? :-?

>> Additional data for your review:
>>
>> ***
>> [Nut-upsuser] FSP UPS not listed as supported, but seems to work... at
>> least a little...
>> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2010-
April/006023.html
>> ***
>>
> They use UPS with USB port.

Yep, and at least seems to be detected. BTW, you can also try asking there,
as in NUT list you'll receive updated device support information.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón