From: Γιώργος Πάλλας on
Hello to everybody!

I have a system running off a fully encrypted 160GB HD using LVM over
LUKS. Obviously, taking an image of the disk clonezilla-style is very
inefficient as I need 160GB per backup. So, regularly, I take a full tar
of the system while the system is live. This way, data will not be lost,
but in case of a disk failure, it will take some time before I set up
manually the LUKS, then the LVM, then restore the data from the tar,
restore grub, MBR etc *. Is there a better way? More efficient? How do
others deal with that?

Thanks!
G.

* By the way, I haven't tried this procedure, but my educated guess is
that it will work...

From: David Christensen on
Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:
> I have a system running off a fully encrypted 160GB HD using LVM over
> LUKS. Obviously, taking an image of the disk clonezilla-style is very
> inefficient as I need 160GB per backup. So, regularly, I take a full tar
> of the system while the system is live.

An idea -- boot a live CD, open the LUKS partition(s), configure LVM,
run zerofree against the unmounted logical volume, and then dd | tar |
gzip | ccrypt the unmounted volume to an external hard drive?

David

On 07/27/2010 04:17 AM, David Christensen wrote:
> Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:
>> I have a system running off a fully encrypted 160GB HD using LVM over
>> LUKS. Obviously, taking an image of the disk clonezilla-style is very
>> inefficient as I need 160GB per backup. So, regularly, I take a full tar
>> of the system while the system is live.
>
> An idea -- boot a live CD, open the LUKS partition(s), configure LVM,
> run zerofree against the unmounted logical volume, and then dd | tar |
> gzip | ccrypt the unmounted volume to an external hard drive?

Thanks David for the idea!

Pages: 1
Prev: COM-port (RS-232) problems
Next: bind9 problems