From: Lisi on
On Monday 28 June 2010 12:12:23 Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> So I guess we're still looking for an example of a non-English name
> that can't be pronounced right. Can't think of any.

It isn't a case of whether it can be correctly pronounced, but of whether it
is.

Lisi

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:20:05 -0400 (EDT), Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Op 28-06-10 13:12, Tzafrir Cohen schreef:

>>> That doesn't stop me from using my real name ;)
>>
>> Though English people have no problem pronouncing your name.
>>
>> So I guess we're still looking for an example of a non-English name
>> that can't be pronounced right. Can't think of any.
>
> Well, each name *can* in principle be pronounced right. Yet, non-Dutch
> people have a hard time with my name.
>
> Sjoerd (pronounced a bit like 'should' with an r instead of an l.
> Somehow that's very difficult)

These are all interesting points, but they are all irrelevant to e-mail.
In an e-mail, one doesn't need to be able to pronounce a name. One only
needs to be able to copy and paste. Thus, the justification of the
use of a pseudonym on the grounds that other people can't pronounce it
right is not a valid one for the e-mail media.

My own name, Stephen, though an English name in an English-speaking
country, and a name that appears in the Holy Bible,
has often been mispronounced as "Steffan" instead of "Steven".
But I still use my real name in e-mails.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On 27/06/10 10:51 PM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> Thank you guys.
> I have not follow Stephen's guide, but I figured the reason out. It
> seems like an ext3's fault. The space (i-node wise) was used 5.x GB,
> but the actual space (data wise) was used only 1 GB. So a lot of space
> was just empty and wasted.

I experience the same thing some weeks ago (had to use a different
machine with a larger hard disk to get the job done). It is interesting
to note that you think that ext3 is at fault here. How did you find that
out? I would like to know whether it is a problem with ext3 at this time
in Unstable.

ever having been read.

I am using debian unstable 64 bit with lvm and ext3. All options are default.
How did I find out? This OS is a VM. And the disk data is in a
non-fixed size file, not compressed. Sorry I forgot how to say this in
English, by non-fixed size, I mean the VM software just allocate the
actual disk space that has data to write.
And I think this is not just about ext3, but ext3 & 64bit. Because
with the same environment, 32bit works fine for this process.

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM, H.S. <hs.samix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/06/10 10:51 PM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>> Thank you guys.
>> I have not follow Stephen's guide, but I figured the reason out. It
>> seems like an ext3's fault. The space (i-node wise) was used 5.x GB,
>> but the actual space (data wise) was used only 1 GB. So a lot of space
>> was just empty and wasted.
>
> I experience the same thing some weeks ago (had to use a different
> machine with a larger hard disk to get the job done). It is interesting
> to note that you think that ext3 is at fault here. How did you find that
> out? I would like to know whether it is a problem with ext3 at this time
> in Unstable.
>

> --
>
> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Sorry, my mistake, nothing about 64 bit. I compiled the 32bit kernel in xfs..

--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞