From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

For one week now, I sometimes `loose' any access to the LAN and the WAN.
Here is the way I am connected to the Internet:

ISP (house's wall) -> ISP modem (RJ-45) -> D-Link DIR-635 router (RJ-45)
-> Switch (RJ-45) -> 192.168.0.101 (this computer).

When trying to use my Internet connection, I sometimes encounter some
load page error from Firefox. Checking the modem's LEDs, I notice that
the RECEIVING and SENDING LEDs are then constantly lighted. Well, this
is not normal. I then try to go to my router's webpage, i.e. 192.168.0.1
(this is my (LAN) DHCP server for 192.168.0.101 -> 192.168.0.111), and
it does not load. I then reset the router, and everything then works
right once the router has acquired the IP from my ISP's DHCP server. But
if I switch off the router, say, for 10 mins, for example, the modem
continues lightning its LEDs. But when the router is re-plugged, and an
IP address is acquired from my ISP's DHCP server, the modem turns off
the two respective LEDs, and everything is okay on the computers.

First, I thought that I had some vulnerability (open port, etc.), which
was responsible of the sending/receiving operations of my modem, but, as
deactivating the router does not change anything to the modem state (it
still keeps receiving and sending), it should not be a vulnerability.
(Moreover, there is no reason to it.)

I then thought that the modem was defective, but if it was the only
defective device in my installation, why am I sometimes unable to access
the router's webpage (and the Internet, accessorily)?

And let the modem be defective. Then, the router should also be
defective, but there is no reason to it, as it is brand new, both are on
the UPS, and always worked fine.

I can't understand this problem. Any idea?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a
scandal. (Elizabeth Taylor)

From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:57:40 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> For one week now, I sometimes `loose' any access to the LAN and the WAN.
> Here is the way I am connected to the Internet:
>
> ISP (house's wall) -> ISP modem (RJ-45) -> D-Link DIR-635 router (RJ-45)
> -> Switch (RJ-45) -> 192.168.0.101 (this computer).

(...)

I suppose you are using a wifi setup with at least WPA2-PSK (or AES) so
we can discard any intruder making "bad things" in your network >:-)

If so, first step I'd try to change/replace is the router.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:57:40 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> (...)
>
> I suppose you are using a wifi setup with at least WPA2-PSK (or AES) so
> we can discard any intruder making "bad things" in your network >:-)

I am not connecting with WiFi (as stated in my previous message), and
neither is WiFi activated. (I do not like WiFi, actually.) (I connected
with RJ-45.)
> If so, first step I'd try to change/replace is the router.

Well, okay, I'll try it. But no other clue? Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Anand Sivaram on
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 17:39, Merciadri Luca <
Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:57:40 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> >

> > (...)
> >
> > I suppose you are using a wifi setup with at least WPA2-PSK (or AES) so
> > we can discard any intruder making "bad things" in your network >:-)
> >
> I am not connecting with WiFi (as stated in my previous message), and
> neither is WiFi activated. (I do not like WiFi, actually.) (I connected
> with RJ-45.)
> > If so, first step I'd try to change/replace is the router.
> >
> Well, okay, I'll try it. But no other clue? Thanks.
>
> --
> Merciadri Luca
> See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/<http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/%7Emerciadri/>
> I use PGP. If there is an incompatibility problem with your mail
> client, please contact me.

Do you have lights (led light) for each of your rj45 ports? Have you seen
the output of them when you say that you can not access your router/other
computers?
Try installing "ethtool" on your debian and see "ethtool eth0" (or whatever
interface) during that time to see link is up. What about pinging your
router/computer at that time?
From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:09:27 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:57:40 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>

>> (...)
>>
>> I suppose you are using a wifi setup with at least WPA2-PSK (or AES) so
>> we can discard any intruder making "bad things" in your network >:-)
>>
> I am not connecting with WiFi (as stated in my previous message), and
> neither is WiFi activated. (I do not like WiFi, actually.) (I connected
> with RJ-45.)

Good.

>> If so, first step I'd try to change/replace is the router.
>>
> Well, okay, I'll try it. But no other clue? Thanks.

After reading your comments, it seems to be a problem within the router
(you said that "sometines" you cannot reach the web interface and that is
a bad signal). And as router is the "glue" for the rest of the devices
(computer <-> router <-> modem) any network pause or slowness you may
experience can be a consquence of it.

I am not familiar with you setup as I use "all-in-one" devices (ADSL
bundled modem-router) and in my case, yes, sometimes the modem-router
gets "stuck" and I have to powercycle the device to get it operative
again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón