From: Peter Tenenbaum on
I've been trying to get Java to work correctly on iceweasel (I'm using
squeeze and amd64). I managed to get the sun-java6-plugin downloaded and
installed. Currently, I see /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/libjavaplugin.so,
which is a link to /etc/alternatives/iceweasel-javaplugin.so . my
~/.mozilla/plugins directory does not contain any Java-related libraries or
links. When I check Iceweasel's add-ons GUI, I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20,
and when I do about:plugins I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20. In my preferences,
Java is enabled. However: when I navigate to the Java test webpage (
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp) and push the big red "verify java
version" button, it errors out after about 2 minutes.

Is there some other configuration work which needs to be done to make
Iceweasel fully Java-functional?

Thanks in advance,
-PT
From: Alan Ianson on
On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 21:40 -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been trying to get Java to work correctly on iceweasel (I'm using
> squeeze and amd64). I managed to get the sun-java6-plugin downloaded
> and installed. Currently, I
> see /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/libjavaplugin.so, which is a link
> to /etc/alternatives/iceweasel-javaplugin.so . my ~/.mozilla/plugins
> directory does not contain any Java-related libraries or links. When
> I check Iceweasel's add-ons GUI, I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20, and when
> I do about:plugins I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20. In my preferences,
> Java is enabled. However: when I navigate to the Java test webpage
> (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp) and push the big red
> "verify java version" button, it errors out after about 2 minutes.
>
> Is there some other configuration work which needs to be done to make
> Iceweasel fully Java-functional?

I get the same results here, and accessing a site that requires the
plugin doesn't work. The page appears but the applet doesn't start for
reasons unknown.

A bug in the plug-in maybe??

On 06/12/2010 12:13 AM, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 21:40 -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
>> I've been trying to get Java to work correctly on iceweasel (I'm using
>> squeeze and amd64). I managed to get the sun-java6-plugin downloaded

"Managed" implies difficulty, which shouldn't be.

>> and installed. Currently, I
>> see /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/libjavaplugin.so, which is a link
>> to /etc/alternatives/iceweasel-javaplugin.so . my ~/.mozilla/plugins
>> directory does not contain any Java-related libraries or links. When
>> I check Iceweasel's add-ons GUI, I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20, and when
>> I do about:plugins I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20. In my preferences,
>> Java is enabled. However: when I navigate to the Java test webpage
>> (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp) and push the big red
>> "verify java version" button, it errors out after about 2 minutes.
>>
>> Is there some other configuration work which needs to be done to make
>> Iceweasel fully Java-functional?

Might you have at one time installed a private Java, either into
/usr/local or $HOME?

> I get the same results here, and accessing a site that requires the
> plugin doesn't work. The page appears but the applet doesn't start for
> reasons unknown.
>
> A bug in the plug-in maybe??

Or plug-in conflicts?

Works perfectly for me in Sid on amd64 with sun-java6-plugin
6.20-dlj-4 and iceweasel 3.6.4~build2-1 (from experimental).

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

On 06/12/2010 06:40 AM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been trying to get Java to work correctly on iceweasel (I'm using
> squeeze and amd64). I managed to get the sun-java6-plugin downloaded
> and installed. Currently, I see
> /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/libjavaplugin.so, which is a link to
> /etc/alternatives/iceweasel-javaplugin.so . my ~/.mozilla/plugins
> directory does not contain any Java-related libraries or links. When
> I check Iceweasel's add-ons GUI, I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20, and when
> I do about:plugins I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20. In my preferences,
> Java is enabled. However: when I navigate to the Java test webpage
> (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp) and push the big red
> "verify java version" button, it errors out after about 2 minutes.
>
> Is there some other configuration work which needs to be done to make
> Iceweasel fully Java-functional?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -PT
I run firefox 3.6 on a squeeze/amd64 system with jre1.6.0_16 from sun.
The java plugin is taken from the jre: libnpjp2.so.
br
From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI on
On 06/12/2010 01:40 AM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been trying to get Java to work correctly on iceweasel (I'm using
> squeeze and amd64). I managed to get the sun-java6-plugin downloaded
> and installed. Currently, I see
> /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/libjavaplugin.so, which is a link to
> /etc/alternatives/iceweasel-javaplugin.so . my ~/.mozilla/plugins
> directory does not contain any Java-related libraries or links. When
> I check Iceweasel's add-ons GUI, I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20, and when
> I do about:plugins I see Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20. In my preferences,
> Java is enabled. However: when I navigate to the Java test webpage
> (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp) and push the big red
> "verify java version" button, it errors out after about 2 minutes.
>
> Is there some other configuration work which needs to be done to make
> Iceweasel fully Java-functional?

You might be hit by http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560056

Try the workarounds in that page.

--
If it wasn't so warm out today, it would be cooler.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br