From: Bill on
Hi folks,

I'm trying to steam World Cup games, which I've been doing fine
until now. But CBC our national broadcaster has switched streaming
systems and now requires that I upgrade to Flash Player 10.1 on
Etch. I don't think it's possible. Leave it to a non-free package
to screw up my system.

I'm not ready to upgrade this system yet to Lenny, so I'd like
to keep it in Etch if possible. I can't seem to install Flash
because of unmet dependencies.

I've tried forcing (-f) and using backports.org with apt but no joy.
I wonder if someone can tell me if it's possible to install Flash
Player 10 on Etch? Basically, all attempts give me an output similar
to this:

# apt-get -t backports.org install libpango1.0-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
libpango1.0-0 is already the newest version.
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
adobe-flashplugin:
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0) but 1.12.4-3 is to be installed
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch10+b1 is to be installed
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.6.0) but 1.2.4-4.1+etch1 is to be installed
Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5) but 2.2.1-5+etch4 is to be installed
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0) but 2.8.20-7 is to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.20.5) but 1.14.8-5+etch1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or
specify a solution).

Usually apt is one of my favourite tools. But not today.
Any ideas? Is there a way to back out of this and start again?
To get Flash 10 installed on Etch?

b.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 04:53:09 -0700, Bill wrote:

> I'm trying to steam World Cup games, which I've been doing fine until
> now. But CBC our national broadcaster has switched streaming systems and
> now requires that I upgrade to Flash Player 10.1 on Etch. I don't think
> it's possible. Leave it to a non-free package to screw up my system.

(...)

Are you running a 32 bits system?

If yes, you could first try the "easy" path:

1/ Download Flash Player from Adobe site
http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

2/ Unpack the "tar.gz" file and put the "libflashplayer.so" into your "~/
mozilla/plugins/" folder (if not present, just create it).

3/ Launch Icewasel and test.

Note: This should work on Iceweasel 3.0.x releases, I have not tested
with the older ones (2.x).

Note 2: Remember that you can also download the latest version of Firefox
from Mozilla site (usually no installation needed, just "click&run").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sat, 2010-12-06 at 16:44 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> 1/ Download Flash Player from Adobe site
> http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash
>
> 2/ Unpack the "tar.gz" file and put the "libflashplayer.so" into your
> "~/
> mozilla/plugins/" folder (if not present, just create it).
>
> 3/ Launch Icewasel and test.
>
> Note: This should work on Iceweasel 3.0.x releases, I have not tested
> with the older ones (2.x).
>
> Note 2: Remember that you can also download the latest version of
> Firefox
> from Mozilla site (usually no installation needed, just "click&run").

Thanks. If anyone else is having this problem....

I installed Lenny on another box with IceWeasel3 and FlashPlayer10.
This now works.

Etch and IceWeasel2 and FlashPlayer10 only partially works. It
will play canned downloads but not the live streams. IceWeasel2
is too old to work with FlashPlayer10 as Etch can't meet its
dependencies. The live streams require the later versions found
in Lenny.

b.