From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on how to
do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
Desire.

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:01:13 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
> explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
> workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on how to
> do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
> at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
> Desire.

Look at the manual for your device, chapter "Connecting your phone to
your computer".

It seems you have to connect the device to an USB port and select "hard
drive" mode, or something similar. Then you should be able to use the
unit as a media device.

Briefly, connect the phone and type "dmesg" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 6/1/10 8:56 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Kent West <westk(a)acu.edu> writes:
>
> > Merciadri Luca wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
> >> explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
> >> workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on
> how to
> >> do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
> >> at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
> >> Desire.
> >>

> > I just connect my G1 to the USB2 cable, and the G1 dings at me, and
> > there's a notification at the top of the G1's screen saying that it's
> > connected; pulling that notification open it tells me that to "click
> > here" to mount my drive. When I do that, then my Debian box starts
> > rattling, and in a few moments, KDE pops up a window asking what I want
> > to do with the new device, and I say "Open", and voila, there's the
> > drive's contents.
>
> > (The exact wording above may not be accurate, as I'm doing this from
> > memory rather than actually having the unit right here in front of me at
> > the moment, but that's the gist.)
> Well, after quibbling with the android device, this does the same
> too. Do you also have a sync utility?

No. I just manually copy files as I need them from here to yon and
vice-versa. Some stuff doesn't work; like, I can't save my text messages
easily.

--
Kent