From: T o n g on
Hi,

Instead of specifying the caching machine in a file like /etc/apt/
apt.conf.d/02proxy, is it possible to set the apt caching server via some
environment variable?

I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when elsewhere.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On 2010-07-13, T o n g <mlist4suntong(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Instead of specifying the caching machine in a file like /etc/apt/
> apt.conf.d/02proxy, is it possible to set the apt caching server via some
> environment variable?
>
> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when elsewhere.

apt-get and aptitude respect the environment variables http_proxy and
ftp_proxy.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:20:15 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

>> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
>> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when
>> elsewhere.
>>

> apt-get and aptitude respect the environment variables http_proxy and
> ftp_proxy.

Hmmm... I knew that. The problem is that my http_proxy points to my squid
server.

Did you really mean http_proxy, not soap_use_proxy?

cheers

On 2010-07-13, T o n g <mlist4suntong(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:20:15 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>>> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
>>> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when
>>> elsewhere.
>>>

>> apt-get and aptitude respect the environment variables http_proxy and
>> ftp_proxy.
>
> Hmmm... I knew that. The problem is that my http_proxy points to my squid
> server.

Why not point it to something else when required?

> Did you really mean http_proxy, not soap_use_proxy?

I meant http_proxy. I am not familiar with soap_use_proxy.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:59:20 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> Why not point it to something else when required?

Good point. works fine. Thanks.