From: David Baron on
The good old parental control problem. How might one control user login times
and periods using pam (or polkit)?

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 15:46 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> How might one control user login times and periods using pam (or polkit)?

Never tried by myself, but maybe this is useful:

On Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 15:46:34 +0200, David Baron wrote:

> The good old parental control problem. How might one control user login times
> and periods using pam (or polkit)?

Use /etc/security/time.conf, as described here:

http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Restricting_server_access_by_time

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration

On 10-02-21 09:08:47, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 15:46:34 +0200, David Baron wrote:
>
> > The good old parental control problem. How might one control user
> > login times and periods using pam (or polkit)?
>
> Use /etc/security/time.conf, as described here:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/
> Restricting_server_access_by_time

That takes care of login but not periods. That is, users log in but
don't have to log out at any set time (or ever). It can be used to set
access periods for other services, but I don't see how to restrict
internet access that way.

Googling I see [1] which points to [2] which suggests using cron to
force a logout, and various timekpr, with a fork under development[3].

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-387670.html

[2]
http://skindley.wordpress.com/2006/12/11/fedora-core-6-controlling-logins-by-time/

[3] https://launchpad.net/timekpr/

> The good old parental control problem. How might one control user login
> times and periods using pam (or polkit)?

So I put an appropriate line in /etc/security/time.conf

This had no effect.

So I placed in /etc/pam.d/kdm "session required pam_time.so"

This prevented ALL logins, likely crashing the login itself. There was no
message such as "log in not permitted" or such.

So for what the time.conf can do, how does one set it up correctly? Or is it a
bug?

Pages: 1
Prev: Debian-Multimedia
Next: Blank screen..........