From: Stuckey on
Hello,

I have the debian-multimedia in my sources.list file, and so far I've
just been commenting it in/out whenever I want to install something
from it. I only want certain packages from it, the ones that I can't
get from the regular repository. How can I configure aptitude so that
it will only pull the packages that I tell it to from debiam-multimedia?

I'm using Sid. Here's my sources.list file:

#### unstable ########
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

#deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

#### dmm #########
#deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

Thanks,
Stuckey

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:06:30PM +0100, Stuckey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the debian-multimedia in my sources.list file, and so far I've
> just been commenting it in/out whenever I want to install something from
> it. I only want certain packages from it, the ones that I can't get from
> the regular repository. How can I configure aptitude so that it will only
> pull the packages that I tell it to from debiam-multimedia?
>
> I'm using Sid. Here's my sources.list file:
>
> #### unstable ########
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> #deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
>
> #### dmm #########
> #deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

This info comes from backports.org, but it should also apply to
debian-mulitmedia.org, as far as pinning priority goes:

If you want to get your packages from backports upgraded automatically
the following entry in /etc/apt/preferences should be sufficient:

Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

I *think* your pin line should read like this:
Pin: origin www.debian-multimedia.org

I have lenny-backports pinned at 200, and it does not install anything
from backports w/o me specifying it. It will automatically upgrade
existing backports packages with newer versions of backports packages as
they come out.

See man apt_preferences for more details.

-Rob

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:06:30PM +0100, Stuckey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the debian-multimedia in my sources.list file, and so far
> I've just been commenting it in/out whenever I want to install
> something from it. I only want certain packages from it, the ones
> that I can't get from the regular repository. How can I configure
> aptitude so that it will only pull the packages that I tell it to
> from debiam-multimedia?
>
> I'm using Sid. Here's my sources.list file:
>
> #### unstable ########
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> #deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
>
> #### dmm #########
> #deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

Guess I always wanted the upgrade if there was a package in multimedia.

Refer: man apt_preferences; Apt's Default Priority Assignments

Apt preferences docs interchange terms like they were dice in street craps,
or my head is a fish bowl, which may be a possibility.

Nevertheless, my read is that if you install one of Marillat's sid packages,
it will be 1.) a higher version of the 2.) same release from the 3.)
Multimedia distribution.

If you set your target release as described to unstable, unstable packages
from the debian distribution will receive a priority of 990. That will not
allow an automatic upgrade to a different distribution (Multimedia) but it
also will not allow an automatic downgrade from a higher release.

Aptitude will try to satisfy dependencies to do what you ask. Commenting
the multimedia source out might even lower the those packages priorities in
an unrelated resolution attempt by Aptitude. I believe I've seen Aptitude
remove packages after I closed a source.

I think you should just set your target release to unstable and leave
Multimedia open.

If you have to pin a package with a target release set, you'll have to pin
it between 991-1000 to get the upgrade.

Package: < package_name >
Pin: version < n.n.n* >
Pin-Priority: 991

Then you will have to watch and edit for version changes.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:00:25PM -0800, evenso wrote:

Erratum:

> If you set your target release as described to unstable, unstable packages
> from the debian distribution will receive a priority of 990. That will not
> allow an automatic upgrade to a different distribution (Multimedia) but it
> also will not allow an automatic downgrade from a higher release.

Should read "downgrade from a higher *version* (Multimedia packages)."
Although "release" is also true.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

On Sun,21.Feb.10, 23:00:25, Freeman wrote:

> Nevertheless, my read is that if you install one of Marillat's sid packages,
> it will be 1.) a higher version of the 2.) same release from the 3.)
> Multimedia distribution.
>
> If you set your target release as described to unstable, unstable packages
> from the debian distribution will receive a priority of 990. That will not
> allow an automatic upgrade to a different distribution (Multimedia) but it
> also will not allow an automatic downgrade from a higher release.

Only debian-multimedia is not a different distribution, just a different
source:

$ apt-cache policy mplayer
mplayer:
Instalat: 1:1.0.rc2svn20100219-0.0
Candidează: 1:1.0.rc2svn20100219-0.0
Tabela de versiuni:
*** 1:1.0.rc2svn20100219-0.0 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1:1.0.rc2svn20091220-0.0 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze/main Packages
1.0~rc3+svn20090405-1+b1 0
500 http://debian.networx-bg.com sid/main Packages
500 http://ftp.at.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
1.0~rc2-17+lenny3 0
500 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages

As you can see, debian-multimedia and my regular Debian source have same
priority and setting Default-Release will affect both, but the
"higher"[1] version from debian-multimedia is still installed
automatically.

[1] I write "higher" with quotes because the actual version is smaller,
but Christian Marillat is using an epoch to get his version before the
official one.

> I think you should just set your target release to unstable and leave
> Multimedia open.
>
> If you have to pin a package with a target release set, you'll have to pin
> it between 991-1000 to get the upgrade.
>
> Package: < package_name >
> Pin: version < n.n.n* >
> Pin-Priority: 991

Just pinning debian-multimedia to a lower priority than the official
source should be enough. What ever you (the OP) are trying out, use
apt-cache policy <package> to test. mplayer is a good package to test
because it exists in both repos.

Regards,
Andrei