From: deloptes on
Joey Hess wrote:

> Scarletdown wrote:
>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-3-486
>> [Linux-initrd @ 0x10b3000, 0x76cdf9 bytes]
>>
>> After that, she's locked up tight, and all I can do is power off.
>>
>> This is obviously a problem with initrd.  Set too large for such a low
>> memory system perhaps?
>
> I doubt it, since your initrd is only 7 mb.
>
> This seems more likely to be a problem with your bootloader. Quite
> possibly grub is not configured to read the initrd from the correct disk
> device. It can be hard to get that right when preparing an disk image on
> another machine.
>
> Or possibly, given the age of the hardware, the initrd is not located
> near enough to the front of the drive for grub to be able to access it.
> (Which is why having a separate /boot partition first used to be a good
> idea.)

I would take a live-cd or usb disk (there are images available). Avoid using
gnome or kde - your system wont make it.

I've had always problems with initrd when not installing from cd. But I'm
good in debugging it. I.e. you should edit /etc/modules and put the disk
relevant modules there and recreate the initrd image. This is happening
when you install different kernel after basic install. Or if you install
with debootstrap and swap the drives.

You could actually easy debug it if you add the kernel option init=/bin/sh
and then check what's wrong. I.e. wrong disk drives or not loaded or not
available modules.

regards

--
see shy jo
From: Tzafrir Cohen on
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 03:24:31PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Scarletdown wrote:
> >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-3-486
> >> [Linux-initrd @ 0x10b3000, 0x76cdf9 bytes]
> >>
> >> After that, she's locked up tight, and all I can do is power off.
> >>
> >> This is obviously a problem with initrd.� Set too large for such a low
> >> memory system perhaps?
> >
> > I doubt it, since your initrd is only 7 mb.
> >
> > This seems more likely to be a problem with your bootloader. Quite
> > possibly grub is not configured to read the initrd from the correct disk
> > device. It can be hard to get that right when preparing an disk image on
> > another machine.
> >
> > Or possibly, given the age of the hardware, the initrd is not located
> > near enough to the front of the drive for grub to be able to access it.
> > (Which is why having a separate /boot partition first used to be a good
> > idea.)
> >

> I would take a live-cd or usb disk (there are images available). Avoid using
> gnome or kde - your system wont make it.

A Live CD puts some files in a ramdisk, and thus wastes some more RAM.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Scarletdown <scarletdown(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> ...but now I would like to make it dual boot with Debian. However, the laptop
> hangs when I try to boot into Linux. Specifically, the last thing shown on
> the screen before nothing else happens is:

im interested to know why your choosing debian rather then damn small?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Scarletdown <scarletdown(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Damn Small is fine for a live distro. However, I did not like having to
> jump through so many hoops to get it configured the way I wanted (even
> permanently changing the hostname was a big hassle).

just wondering, best reason there is having everything on the same os.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Can't read DVD
Next: a submission