From: Chris on
Greetings folks,

I have been playing a bit with creating live USB flash drives.
I'm not having much luck finding examples on how to create the live
flash drive with the ability to install it on the PC hard drive.

Here's my setup:

I have an older laptop with a failed CD reader in it so booting off CD
is pointless. I have successfully created a bootable DebianLive (via
the wiki) flash drive with Gnome. It's works really, really well! Now,
what I would like to do is have the option to install to my laptops
drive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

--
Best regards,

Chris
1AB5FEF8
From: Andrei Popescu on

,----[ http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/ ]
| This is a collaborative wiki to gather information and to discuss
| technologies used to produce a complex framework to enable production of
| official Debian Live systems, that uses as much as possible official
| Debian packages and, for optional hard disk installation, the
| DebianInstaller.
`----

AFAIK Live Debian is not meant to be installed to harddisk, but can
contain the installer. If you like doing things by hand you can also
just debootstrap.

Regards,
Andrei
On 02/07/10 04:42, Chris wrote:
> Greetings folks,
>
> I have been playing a bit with creating live USB flash drives.
> I'm not having much luck finding examples on how to create the live
> flash drive with the ability to install it on the PC hard drive.
>
> Here's my setup:
>
> I have an older laptop with a failed CD reader in it so booting off CD
> is pointless. I have successfully created a bootable DebianLive (via
> the wiki) flash drive with Gnome. It's works really, really well! Now,
> what I would like to do is have the option to install to my laptops
> drive.
>
> Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest you make install USBs as described in section 4.3 of the
installation manual

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 10:38:03 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> ,----[ http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/ ]
> | This is a collaborative wiki to gather information and to discuss
> | technologies used to produce a complex framework to enable production of
> | official Debian Live systems, that uses as much as possible official
> | Debian packages and, for optional hard disk installation, the
> | DebianInstaller.
> `----
>
> AFAIK Live Debian is not meant to be installed to harddisk, but can
> contain the installer. If you like doing things by hand you can also
> just debootstrap.

See here for details about various ways to install to HDD via
DebianLive:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/debian-installer.html

Celejar

for your reference,