From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

For some PC at the university, I need Internet access, but this can't be
achieved directly. That is, I can habitually view web pages, but I first
need to introduce my credentials to the login webpage. Introducing these
credentials is mandatory to have full Internet access. How could I tell
other programs (i.e. scripts using the Internet, etc.) to use these
credentials (in some way)?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The heart has reasons that reason does not understand. (Jacques Bossuet)

From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 10:32:53 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> For some PC at the university, I need Internet access, but this can't be
> achieved directly. That is, I can habitually view web pages, but I first
> need to introduce my credentials to the login webpage. Introducing these
> credentials is mandatory to have full Internet access. How could I tell
> other programs (i.e. scripts using the Internet, etc.) to use these
> credentials (in some way)?

You mean a proxy?

For GUI apps, you will need to setup wide proxy settings under your DE
(GNOME?).

For command line utilities, such "wget", it should be already
contemplated by the program itself so there must an option to pass
credentials ("man program-to-use" for details) :-P.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

No. That's not at all a proxy. Once you power on the computer, and that
you want to use Internet, say by Firefox, you are directly redirected to
a webpage which asks you your university login & your university
password. Once you have entered this stuff, you are logged on the
network, and everything is okay. That's a little bit like ADSL where you
need to type credentials before using the Internet (at the opposite of
the cable).

:-(

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

From: Michal on
On 02/07/2010 10:27, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> No. That's not at all a proxy. Once you power on the computer, and that
> you want to use Internet, say by Firefox, you are directly redirected to
> a webpage which asks you your university login& your university
> password. Once you have entered this stuff, you are logged on the
> network, and everything is okay. That's a little bit like ADSL where you
> need to type credentials before using the Internet (at the opposite of
> the cable).
>
> :-(
>
> Thanks.

....so you can only use a browser then? You can't use other applications?
This sounds like the sort of system they have a hotels and such
like...but there are ways to get around these...one way was even put in
a Linux magazine a few weeks ago. Have a search around

But I have credentials! So that might be simple if I get a way to share
the credentials with other programs.