From: Matteo Riva on
I have looked for info on this but haven't found any. Since a couple of
days I can't boot X anymore with my usual nvidia drivers setup. All I
get is a blank screen with no way out, not even CTRL+ALT+Fn. My system
is testing, updated daily.

Is there any known issue causing this?

Thanks.

On 2010-06-17 18:34 +0200, Matteo Riva wrote:

> I have looked for info on this but haven't found any. Since a couple of
> days I can't boot X anymore with my usual nvidia drivers setup.

In the subject line you talk about ATI fglrx. So what graphics card do
you have?

> All I
> get is a blank screen with no way out, not even CTRL+ALT+Fn. My system
> is testing, updated daily.
>
> Is there any known issue causing this?

There is a new kernel in squeeze that includes shiny KMS framebuffer
drivers for both Radeon and Nvidia cards. These are incompatible with
the proprietary blobs from ATI and Nvidia.

Sven

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> In the subject line you talk about ATI fglrx.  So what graphics card do
> you have?

I'm sorry, my card is a Mobility Radeon 3430.

> There is a new kernel in squeeze that includes shiny KMS framebuffer
> drivers for both Radeon and Nvidia cards.  These are incompatible with
> the proprietary blobs from ATI and Nvidia.

Can you point me to more information on this topic? I'm looking for an
alternative to the FOSS radeonhd driver which works but uses too much
CPU (and my laptop suffers from overheating) and has limited
configuration options for external displays.

Thanks

On 2010-06-17 19:00 +0200, Matteo Riva wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> In the subject line you talk about ATI fglrx. �So what graphics card do
>> you have?
>
> I'm sorry, my card is a Mobility Radeon 3430.
>
>> There is a new kernel in squeeze that includes shiny KMS framebuffer
>> drivers for both Radeon and Nvidia cards. �These are incompatible with
>> the proprietary blobs from ATI and Nvidia.
>
> Can you point me to more information on this topic?

For Radeon cards, http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting has some
information.

> I'm looking for an
> alternative to the FOSS radeonhd driver which works but uses too much
> CPU (and my laptop suffers from overheating) and has limited
> configuration options for external displays.

You should use the radeon driver instead, radeonhd is incompatible with
KMS (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=575226). Make
sure to install the firmware-linux-nonfree package.

Powersaving for Radeon cards is work in progress and requires the latest
and greatest kernel (2.6.35-rc3 at the moment).

Sven

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:

>>> There is a new kernel in squeeze that includes shiny KMS framebuffer
>>> drivers for both Radeon and Nvidia cards.  These are incompatible with
>>> the proprietary blobs from ATI and Nvidia.
>>
>> Can you point me to more information on this topic?
>
> For Radeon cards, http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting has some
> information.

Anyway my current kernel is

Linux blue 2.6.32-trunk-686 #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 06:32:16 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

I doesn't look like it was update recently, so I don't think it's the
incompatibility you mention causing the problem.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: gettext upgrade woes
Next: Restarting X