From: Tech Geek on
I installed Debian Lenny on my PC (/dev/hda1) without any swap partition. I
recompiled my kernel to boot without using an initrd.

Now when I boot to my base system, I still see following messages from the
init scripts on my console:

Activating swap...Done
Activating swapfile sawp...Done

After doing a find it seems that these messages are spitted out by scripts
mountall.sh and checkroot.sh files in /etc/init.d/ directory.

My question is what is the best way to disable these messages and the
associated function with those messages?

Should I just comment out the relevant swap portition in those two init
files?

Here are contents of my fstab file:
# less /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/etc/fstab (END)
Here is my drive structure:
debian:/etc/init.d# fdisk -l /dev/hda
Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9c9a78cd
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 1824 14651248+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 1825 5472 29302560 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 1825 3648 14651248+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 3649 5472 14651248+ 83 Linux
debian:/etc/init.d#
Thanks
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-04 21:12, Tech Geek wrote:
> I installed Debian Lenny on my PC (/dev/hda1) without any swap
> partition. I recompiled my kernel to boot without using an initrd.
>
> Now when I boot to my base system, I still see following messages from
> the init scripts on my console:
>
> Activating swap...Done
> Activating swapfile sawp...Done
>
> After doing a find it seems that these messages are spitted out by
> scripts mountall.sh and checkroot.sh files in /etc/init.d/ directory.
>
> My question is what is the best way to disable these messages and the
> associated function with those messages?
>
> Should I just comment out the relevant swap portition in those two init
> files?

You could, but is there any real harm in the messages?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

On 04/03/10 22:42, Tech Geek wrote:
> I installed Debian Lenny on my PC (/dev/hda1) without any swap
> partition. I recompiled my kernel to boot without using an initrd.
Wow, hard work.
> Now when I boot to my base system, I still see following messages from
> the init scripts on my console:
> Activating swap...Done
> Activating swapfile sawp...Done
Ignore it.
> After doing a find it seems that these messages are spitted out by
> scripts mountall.sh and checkroot.sh files in /etc/init.d/ directory.
Yes, and unmountall.sh
> My question is what is the best way to disable these messages and the
> associated function with those messages?
If the free command show zeros (0) on swap line ignore this VERBOSE
messages.
> Should I just comment out the relevant swap portition in those two
> init files?
Instead view this file /lib/init/vars.sh, you will understand that:

1) You can disable verbose output with "quiet" option in the kernel boot
line.
2) You can disable swap (although it exists) with "noswap" option in the
kernel boot line.

You can test this options editing boot line in GRUB menu on boot, type
"e" change the line and CTRL+X to boot.

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
On Thursday 04 March 2010 22:12:59 Tech Geek wrote:
> I installed Debian Lenny on my PC (/dev/hda1) without any swap partition. I
> recompiled my kernel to boot without using an initrd.
>
> Now when I boot to my base system, I still see following messages from the
> init scripts on my console:
>
> Activating swap...Done
> Activating swapfile sawp...Done
>
> After doing a find it seems that these messages are spitted out by scripts
> mountall.sh and checkroot.sh files in /etc/init.d/ directory.
>
> My question is what is the best way to disable these messages and the
> associated function with those messages?
>
> Should I just comment out the relevant swap portition in those two init
> files?

Seems cleaner to me to either boot with a "noswap" kernel option,
or edit /lib/init/vars.sh to always set NOSWAP to "yes". Both
mountall and checkroot seem to check that variable.

Of course, I haven't actually tried it, so it might not even work.

If it does, my personal preference would be to change the default
boot options in the bootloader config -- I use grub, and it's already
customized to have the right "root=" line, so adding "noswap" to the
"kopt" line would be natural, and would be preserved automatically
across kernel updates.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac(a)bellatlantic.net

On 04/03/10 23:04, Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010 22:12:59 Tech Geek wrote:
>
>> I installed Debian Lenny on my PC (/dev/hda1) without any swap partition. I
>> recompiled my kernel to boot without using an initrd.
>>
>> After doing a find it seems that these messages are spitted out by scripts
>> mountall.sh and checkroot.sh files in /etc/init.d/ directory.
>>
>> My question is what is the best way to disable these messages and the
>> associated function with those messages?
>>
>> Should I just comment out the relevant swap portition in those two init
>> files?
>>
> Seems cleaner to me to either boot with a "noswap" kernel option,
> or edit /lib/init/vars.sh to always set NOSWAP to "yes". Both
> mountall and checkroot seem to check that variable.

Yes
> Of course, I haven't actually tried it, so it might not even work.

It works.
> If it does, my personal preference would be to change the default
> boot options in the bootloader config -- I use grub, and it's already
> customized to have the right "root=" line, so adding "noswap" to the
> "kopt" line would be natural, and would be preserved automatically
> across kernel updates.

Right.