From: Martin Kraus on
Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and qemu-kvm packages
for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it should be
able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this.

thanks for clarification
mk

On 3/4/2010 4:49 PM, Martin Kraus wrote:
> Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and qemu-kvm packages
> for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it should be
> able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this.
>
> thanks for clarification
> mk

qemu by itself is full emulation. the kvm variant uses kernel
virtualization. There is also an "accelerator module" variant, if you
run into an issue that prevents you from running kvm.

Just use Virtualbox if it's a desktop, and xen if it's a server.

qemu by itself is slow; kvm has "issues". The virtualization people are
always arguing over which flavor of VM tech is best. It boils down to
1.)security and b.)hassle.

I find I prefer more security, less hassle. Unless you are running a
medium-to-big shop, you probably aren't worried about live migration and
power density, you just want to run XP under Lenny. In that case,
install virtualbox-ose and forget about whose hypervisor is better, or
whatever. The only reason I can think of to give this any more thought
than that is: either you are getting paid, or you are getting a grade.
If you don't trust Virtualbox, VMWare has a "free" product. qemu is
fairly stable, but I never heard of any real advantage it has over other
virtualization implementations. vbox just keeps getting better and
better. I hope Oracle's acquisition of Sun doesn't change that.

xen is still immature, but it works well. You can try it out easily; it
has a live CD. More hassle, but more interesting.

I hope someone else adds to this, because I haven't really explained it
in technical terms, and I'm too lazy to do the work now, but I would
like to remind you that Google works really well, and last time I
checked, Wikipedia was pretty well crammed with articles on
virtualization. I seem to recall a chart comparing every vm
implementation to every other implementation EVER.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Martin Kraus <lists_mk(a)wujiman.net> wrote:
> Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and qemu-kvm packages
> for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it should be
> able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this.

To run kvm, you need virtualization support in your processor. To
test for this, run the following

egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If there's output, you can run kvm.

Formally and in Lenny, there were two packages: qemu and kvm. If your
processor couldn't run kvm, you would install that and run qemu (and
use module-assistant to compile & install the qemu accelerator
module).

However, I believe that in Squeeze there is just one package: qemu-kvm
and both kvm and qemu are just virtual packages. For more info,
install qemu-kvm and read README.Debian.gz in /usr/share/doc/qemu-kvm.

On 3/7/2010 9:58 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 3/4/2010 6:41 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
>> On 3/4/2010 4:49 PM, Martin Kraus wrote:
>>> Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and
>>> qemu-kvm packages
>>> for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it
>>> should be
>>> able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this.
>>>
>>> thanks for clarification
>>> mk
>
> Earlier, I wrote what I think was a confusing reply to this.
>

> There are quite a few types of virtualization:
>
> o Emulation
> o Full
> o Paravirtualization
> o Kernel
> o Application
> o Container
> and quite a few more at least variations.
>
> Hypervisor plus Hardware Abstraction Layer plus Monitor plus multiple
> VMs is the current fashion for servers, and Xen will give you that. In
> Xen terms, the monitor is the dom0, and the multiple VMs are the domU's.
>
> o QEMU is emulation.
> o Virtualbox is Full virtualization.
> o QEMU+KVM is a funny beast, it is paravirtualization with kernel
> virtualization, you need hardware CPU support for it
> o kqemu is a kernel module accelerator with kernel virtualization, no
> hardware support needed, but it gives poor speed.
>
> QEMU more-or-less has KVM built into it since about version 0.10.
>
> Wikipedia has a lot of articles about virtualization, so I would go
> there for more.
>
> Mark Allums
>

> Go with Virtualbox unless you have some special need.

Oh, and Virtualbox was originally based on QEMU, and there is still a
lot of QEMU code in it.

>> Earlier, I wrote what I think was a confusing reply to this.

[snippage]

> Oh, and Virtualbox was originally based on QEMU, and there is still a
> lot of QEMU code in it.

Oh, and Xen paravirtualizizes lots of things.

QEMU has most of the KVM stuff built in, these days.

MAA