From: Nima Azarbayjany on
Hi all,

How do you add support for East Asian fonts in Debian Lenny? For
example, a default install of Lenny does not show some of the fonts at
the bottom of www.debian.org.

Thanks.

Nima

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:24, Nima Azarbayjany
<i.adore.debian(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How do you add support for East Asian fonts in Debian Lenny?  For example, a
> default install of Lenny does not show some of the fonts at the bottom of
> www.debian.org.

Just use the package manager to install some of the fonts, e.g.
ttf-arphic-* are Chinese, ttf-baekmuk and ttf-alee are Korean,
ttf-kochi-* are Japanese (there are others as well).

Also, the package "unifont" has a glyph for ever code point in the
Basic Multilingual Plane. They may not be ideal, or the best
looking, but it gives you something besides square boxes.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 17:24:02 Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How do you add support for East Asian fonts in Debian Lenny? For
> example, a default install of Lenny does not show some of the fonts at
> the bottom of www.debian.org.

I used to install Japanese fonts via aptitude. But I rather think that they
were installed by default on my most recent installation, so I can't speak
for now. Try "aptitude search <language>" and see what happens? Or do a
google/linux search?

Which East Asian fonts are you wanting, if the language is not in the list?

Lisi

On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:40:58 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 May 2010 17:24:02 Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> How do you add support for East Asian fonts in Debian Lenny? For
>> example, a default install of Lenny does not show some of the fonts at
>> the bottom of www.debian.org.
>
> I used to install Japanese fonts via aptitude. But I rather think that
> they were installed by default on my most recent installation, so I
> can't speak for now.

I had to install japanese fonts manually, no asian fonts were installed
by default. The same remains for korean and chinese fonts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Thanks for your support. Installing unifonts did it well for me. ;)

Nima