From: Snood on
Did some research on Nouveau drivers. Was about to download, compile,
etc. Saw that xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package is now in the main
repository. Does that mean that going through all the machinations is no
longer necessary?

If I tell aptitude (ncurses) to install the package it also indicates
the need to install libdrm-nouveau1, but there's no sign that it's
actually going to switch the system from nv to nouveau.

I've looked for information, but I must be looking in all the wrong
places. All I can find is information about how to install nouveau the
"old" way.

Thanks,
Sam

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 08:06, Snood <snood(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Did some research on Nouveau drivers. Was about to download, compile, etc.
> Saw that xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package is now in the main repository.
> Does that mean that going through all the machinations is no longer
> necessary?
>
> If I tell aptitude (ncurses) to install the package it also indicates the
> need to install libdrm-nouveau1, but there's no sign that it's actually
> going to switch the system from nv to nouveau.
>
> I've looked for information, but I must be looking in all the wrong places.
> All I can find is information about how to install nouveau the "old" way.

I don't have Nvidia myself, but tt should be a matter of installing Nouveau,
and then changing the "Driver" line in /etc/x11/xorg.conf from "nv" to
"Nouveau"
(or adding the line in the "Device" section if it doesn't exist).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On 2010-05-11 17:06 +0200, Snood wrote:

> Did some research on Nouveau drivers. Was about to download, compile,
> etc. Saw that xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package is now in the main
> repository. Does that mean that going through all the machinations is
> no longer necessary?

Yes, that does it mean.

> If I tell aptitude (ncurses) to install the package it also indicates
> the need to install libdrm-nouveau1, but there's no sign that it's
> actually going to switch the system from nv to nouveau.

This will happen with the next upload of xserver-xorg-core. Till then,
you need a minimal xorg.conf to use nouveau. And a kernel from sid.

> I've looked for information, but I must be looking in all the wrong
> places. All I can find is information about how to install nouveau the
> "old" way.

Consult the README.Debian in the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package, it
hopefully contains all necessary information.

Good luck,
Sven

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> I don't have Nvidia myself, but tt should be a matter of installing Nouveau,
> and then changing the "Driver" line in /etc/x11/xorg.conf from "nv" to
> "Nouveau"
> (or adding the line in the "Device" section if it doesn't exist).

Good old /etc/X11/xorg.conf. There isn't one on this system. I used to
hate fiddling around with that file. The transition to other means of
controlling video has been fraught with peril for some, but a few false
starts with video configuration on this system under various
distributions finally convinced me that the voyage needed to be undertaken.

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Many thanks for your response.

Best,
Sam

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-05-11 17:06 +0200, Snood wrote:
>
>> Did some research on Nouveau drivers. Was about to download, compile,
>> etc. Saw that xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package is now in the main
>> repository. Does that mean that going through all the machinations is
>> no longer necessary?
>
> Yes, that does it mean.

Very nice. I love surprises like this. It's why I use Squeeze.

>> If I tell aptitude (ncurses) to install the package it also indicates
>> the need to install libdrm-nouveau1, but there's no sign that it's
>> actually going to switch the system from nv to nouveau.
>
> This will happen with the next upload of xserver-xorg-core. Till then,
> you need a minimal xorg.conf to use nouveau. And a kernel from sid.

Very interesting. I guess I'm going to be tempted to await the
xserver-xorg-core package upgrade. I have been astonished at how
reliable Squeeze has been -- despite the fact that I have unfailingly
accepted every single upgrade offered without flinching (main and
security repositories only).

I'm reluctant to mix unstable and testing bits on my primary system. But
I may decide to become brave if the wait is long.

>> I've looked for information, but I must be looking in all the wrong
>> places. All I can find is information about how to install nouveau the
>> "old" way.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Consult the README.Debian in the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package, it
> hopefully contains all necessary information.

Man, am I a dummy! For some reason I forgot that there are README files
in these packages. I was looking for man pages and write-ups in the
wikis and stuff.

> Good luck,
> Sven

Many thanks for your extremely helpful post!

Best,
Sam