From: abdelkader belahcene on
Hi,
I want to play sound at login;
I installed canberra, it seems correct, until I tryed to test it with the
command
canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg
but it failed with error

Failed to play sound: Sound disabled ???

very strange ; since I can here audio file ?? the same file I can here it
with another audio player.
thanks for help
From: Camaleón on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:53:34 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> I want to play sound at login;
> I installed canberra, it seems correct, until I tryed to test it with
> the command
> canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg but it failed
> with error
>

> Failed to play sound: Sound disabled ???
>
> very strange ; since I can here audio file ?? the same file I can here
> it with another audio player.

Maybe is that you have to enable system sounds.

Go to Gnome/system/preferences/sound themes tab and select "sound theme:
default". Then, try to play that Canberra sound again :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Thank for reply,
the theme sound is grayed !!!
no possibility to change anything ??? maybe elsewhere
thanks
regards
bela
From: Camaleón on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:09:36 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> Thank for reply,
> the theme sound is grayed !!!
> no possibility to change anything ??? maybe elsewhere thanks
> regards

Are you on testing or sid?

There should be a drop-down menu to select the theme in use (by default
is disabled -no sounds-, so you have to click on the combo box and choose
"default" theme to enable system sounds).

You can also launch "gnome-volumen-control" in console to check for any
error messages.

BTW, it is working fine here (testing) :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Dne, 26. 07. 2010 00:09:36 je abdelkader belahcene napisal(a):
> Thank for reply,
> the theme sound is grayed !!!
> no possibility to change anything ??? maybe elsewhere
> thanks
> regards
> bela

Have you enabled System/Administration/Users and
groups/Username/Options/User permissions/Can use sound devices ?

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801