From: Mitchell Laks on
Hi,
I run debian sid. Sometime ago my system began to give me the message

"Give root password for maintainance
or type Control_D to continue "

during reboot of the system. It would occur after the boot messages

starting NFS (... etc)
starting sessions
setting console screen modes
initilizing random number generation
setting up X server
setting up ice socket directory

then I would get that cryptic root password mesage stuff mentioned above

Then,
if I hit C-d
the systen continues to boot
with

some messages about needing to add .conf suffix to some configuration files for kvm or something
then
INIT: Entering runlevel 2
starting system log daemon
etc.

So what is causing my system to need to enter Control D?

It is not a failure is fsck checking.

So what is going on?

Thanks,
Mitchell Laks

Please do not take into accounts the two `|' which were unfortunately
inserted at the beginning and at the end of the line of code.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

It pays to pay attention.

From: Anthony Campbell on
On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi Mitchell,
>
> You might add
>
> ==
> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
> ==
>
> in /etc/inittab.

But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
it came.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk

It might be a security policy, for him, that changed without realizing
it. But, for you, I don't know. I would be interested in knowing why
such things happen.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you ... Cry and you will find no one
with tears.

From: Johan Kullstam on
Anthony Campbell <ac(a)acampbell.org.uk> writes:

> On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> You might add
>>
>> ==
>> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
>> ==
>>
>> in /etc/inittab.
>>

> But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
> weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
> it came.

I don't know why you suddenly started getting it, but it is what you
have when booting to single-user-mode. The grub menu calls it "recovery
mode" and you can always get to it with "telinit 1". In my grub menu
list of kernels, I see the "recovery mode" coming right after the normal
mode for each kernel. I could see that if the line with normal mode was
disabled, missing or broken, grub might just skip down to recovery mode
which gives you the behavior.

--
Johan KULLSTAM